Why won't mower cut dandelions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy348, May 14, 2003.

1. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

I hope I spelled it right and is a dandelion a form of a weed. Why do they seem to survive the mower blade and why do they come back so fast?

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

1) Is a dandelion a form of a weed?

If you desire them in your lawn, then the answer is NO. If you don't want fescue grass in your yard, then it is a weed. Get the picture?

2) Make sure your blades are sharp, this will help to make sure they get cut.

MATT

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

cut the rpm dn and see if that doesnt wk.
    a lot of blade speed can lay them dn under the mower

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Any plant material standing tall must contain a good proportion of lignin. That is the plant material than gives rigidity. Grass seedheads are the same. Tree trunks are almost all lignin. Dandelions flowers stand tall to spread their seed better, just like grasses and many other plants.

To get a good cut on this harder material, sharp blades, the highest possible blade speed, and perhaps slower mower ground speed will help.

5. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

actually they duck when they see the mower coming at them.lol actually i did here this one time.

6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Mikeshere89 has got it right -- After decades of relentless persecution the lowly dandelion has learned how to duck when a lawn mower passes overhead, once the danger of decapitation has passed it pokes it's shining yellow face above the freshly mown lawn to receive its fill of sunlight.
    In my attempt at eradicating this miserable weed from my customers and my own lawns I have found that slowing down works well but a double cut in the reverse direction will catch this wily weed by supprise and result in its demise, well at least the long stems will be lopped off.
    BobR

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I like when they stay after mowing. I can then inform the homeowner why they need my spraying services.:D

Of course my established customers who understand the benefits of spraying leave me no weeds to cut.