1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why would a Lawn Care Operator need a

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Avise Lawn Care, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Avise Lawn Care

Avise Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from .

Why would a Lawn Care Operator need a light bar on top of the cab??? I can't figure how flashing light would help or why/when a LCO would use them.

Not trying to be/sound like a smart a$$, just curious.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

DOT regulations for commercial trucks in some areas I suppose.

But figure most use them for safety really.
    It's good to have the warning lights while you are parked curb-side or while plowing.
  3. Big M LawnnSnow

Big M LawnnSnow LawnSite Member

I have strobes on my trucks.
    I originally got them for snow plowing but use them when parking on a busy stree or backing trailers into driveways and when driving arpond busy commercial parking lots
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

DOT also uses them on mowers that cut along roadways.
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I run crews around a bunch of reeeeaallly old people - so old they are myoptic and virtually deaf.
    I had to change uniform shirt colors because it gets so bright here, people couldn't see the white t-shirts, so now the crew is in yellow.
    Same with the vehicles/ztrs-had one rear ended by an auto driven by a elderly person who claimed they couldn't see the slow moving warning triangle clearly displayed on the rear of the ztr.
    Funny thing was the mower was stopped behind the 20' trailer and truck, both of which were parked in a parking lot and had warning cones up.
    No real damage but scared the poop out of my crew leader who thought he was going to be a hood ornament for a moment.
    Ever since then, lights on for safety and when parked and working, strobe on the cab roof is on.
  6. exmark1

exmark1 LawnSite Member

Our's are mounted stricktly for plowing but are never removed! I never thought of using it for marking the truck in busy times, thanks for the tip!
  7. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

maybe because the truck is used in the winter months for snow removal purposes.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

probably that and around here on busy streets you have to have them on for certain things, my dads a surveyor and all there company trucks had to be wired up with strobes. and man, strobes and LEDs just look cool!!
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Down my way, its the Law! If your vehicle is plowing snow you need an amber warning light of some kind. Not everyone uses them but I think they look cool and they draw attention to your truck. If the truck has you company name on it, potential customers may see you, like how the job looks and give you a call. Them strobe bars are sweet lookin!!!!!!!!!
  10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

If we have to park in the road while mowing/mulching or whatever the reason the lights come on and we put cones out. Other drivers are impatient and careless it doesn't hurt to have extra safety. Both of my trucks have amber quad flash strobes mounted on the roof and two led lights mounted on the toolboxes facing the rear.