Why would anyone want to.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Why would anyone want to use a 1 wheeled velky, a 2 wheeled velky or any trailering type sulky?

It just makes no sense to me. I don't see the point when there are fixed castor sulkies....:confused:

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

All our WB's have 1-wheeled velkies...been that way since Day 1. And my guys don't complain. Probably cause I pay em' a lot.:D

3. svlandscape

svlandscape LawnSite Member

I had 1 wheeled velkies, just started using the Velkie X2 yesterday because I did not like the stripe left by the 1 wheeled velkie down the middle. It is awsome! I have never tried the caster wheeled type so I really can't give an honest opinion about it. But when you make a really tight turn (ZTR type) don't you get whipped around really guickly?

4. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

Well...

When I bought my walkbehind it came with a velke. It worked fine and I don't think I NEED to spend the extra 250-300 or whateva on something that I already have. Why buy something twice?

5. sharpcut

sharpcut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

if i had to ride on one wheel all day i would have quit by now ..the fixed two wheel caster is the only way to go ...,you have i think more stability and balance and its way more comfortable ......way worth the extra 200-300 dollars .

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

They're $500 bucks, that's why. That's such bullcrap how they charge that much. I got Jungle Wheels for $260 and that was more than I wanted to spend. Other than single wheeled velkes, they're all doing the same thing. As long as you buy a decent brand, they all work fine. My .02

7. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Ijust bought my first sulky and haven't used it yet other than driving around in the front yard so I'm not an expert but I've heard there is a weight issue with castor sulkies.I know a guy locally that bought one and said his 52" hydro had trouble pulling him. I didn't try it myself but the fact being that I weigh 235 I was conscerned about and besides my Jungle Jims was a lot cheaper for some thing to try.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'm kinda inclined to think that any type sulky (trailering/fixed) could possible cause some weight issues. But not in the manner I think you are referring to, the weight of the sulky itself.

I'm curious more long the lines of balance and weight transfer like a trailer can cause on a truck. Except with a walk behind I believe that if a sulky transferred too much tongue weight the front would come up going up hills. Oppositely, if the sulky had too much tail weight, it would act as jack leverage, taking weight off the drive tires that would cause a lack of traction.

Along with this discussion, does anyone feel that they can explain the physics and mechanics of what design layouts make for a well balanced sulky that transfers weight properly so it doesn't cause the potential problems I listed?

9. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

As long as the rider is positioned over the wheels ( wich I believe is true on all types ) you shouldn't have any of those problems.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Not sure, but maybe castering sulkies would cause problems with belt drive mowers, since you can't do a real zero turn.

They also have to swing a little wider, don't they?

I like how I can step on and off the single wheel velke as needed when going over a mix of soggy and firm turf, w/o having to remove the whole unit and walk it all. Not sure a castering model gives you enough foot room beside the sulky to do this.

Also, it seems like they require more traction from the drive wheels in sharp turns to provide the force needed to swing you around an arc, rather than just trailering behind, which might tear turf a little more in some situations. I know I step off sometimes on wet or delicate turf at the end of rows with my single wheel velke to avoid damaging the turf.

They're also bulkier and cost a little more. I use a ZTR rider on lawns a castering sulky might be good on, and use my wb for really steep hills, small hard to reach areas, and when it's too sloppy for the rider, situations any velke may have problems with.