1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why would Scotts be applying pesticides to lawns on Long Island in November?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnguyland, Nov 6, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

What could Scotts possibly be applying to lawns on November 6th on Long Island (Zone 7)? I saw a guy appying a granular to the turf today and put up pest flags. How could he possibly be ripping someone off? There is no good reason I can think of to apply pesticides now on turf. Maybe I just don't get it, what could he be applying? It was raining and cold.

Weed control? it was granular so probably not and it's too cold plus it was wet and raining at the time.

Insecticide? Um, for what?- no visible damage to lawn from street plus it's too cold

Fungicide? Possibly, but why? Snow mold prevention? Fungicides are pretty much useless anyway. this would be my guess, but would still be unnecessary in my opinion.

What's your opinion?

Any explanations that would make sense? Thanks....
  2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

He was prob. putting down the fall fertilizer. The last step in the scotts cycle.
  3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i sprayed today in zone 5 with speedzone and fert finishing up my fall step and it works jsut fine despite the cooler weather. it is a very good idea to apply weed control now and catch next years weeds a bit early!!!!!! less problems in spring from chickweed, henbit and dadelion
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. Probably a fert.. Also, just because there's no damage visible from the road, does not mean there is no insect damage. we are still hitting grubs, and there re several (most0 places that he damage is not visible from the road.
  5. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

had to be a winterizer and he put up the wrong flags
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Pre-Em can be applied in the Fall months. I've done this before with good success on really badly infested lawns.
  7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you serious? their is a number of things he could be applying at this very moment in that zone with those temps. grub control for one, mild starter fert if their had been overseeding, pre-m and more.... their are no magic dates where apps stop. His reasons are only known to him and the home owner unless someone is interested reads his app tag. fungicides are useless????

Their are many resources on the net and in library's and bookstores maybe even at adult education classes where you could brush up a little on lawn care.
  8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I just read my post and realised it might sound a little smart azz. I did not mean to come off like. I try not to be one of those guys that pull that crap. I am sorry if I sounded rude I did not mean to be.
  9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnguy, I would doubt they are putting down pesticides as well. Probably doing the winterizer or lime and just flagged it with the pesticide flag to let the client know they were there.
  10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I'm thinking also.
    Got to show 'em U was there ! :)