why you charging leaf clean up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by daveyo, Oct 16, 2005.

1. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

Had a customer call me up a few minutes ago, she says "I don't understand why you can't just pick up the leaves when your mowing". I explain to her it's two different charges, lawn mowing is lawn mowing and leaf clean up is leaf clean up. I told her leaf clean up is more work it's just not sucking up leaves and calling it a day. Also, I told her I don't like mowing oak branches, it tends to damage the blades, she says "oh than I don't think I can afford you any more if your charging for leaf clean up and mowing" :dizzy:.

Daveyo

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Give some more details, Dave. How much are you charging her for mowing? How much more do you charge to mulch the leaves?

3. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Defenatly! I like older people but.... I HATE CHEAP, DEPRESSED, NON APPRECIATIVE OLD PEOPLE! If she's not then I would gota say, she's a very unhappy person, probably her husbands having erectile difficulties, or just is grossed out by his own wife and stays outta the house as much as possible.

TELL HER TO FIND HOSE A AND HOSE B TO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE CUSTOMERS LIKE THAT HATE! TELL HER TO FIND ANOTHER LANDSCAPER AND SHE"LL GET RAPED AT COMIN INTO THE SEASON THIS LATE WITH A NEW GUY LOL..... And I bet you've been servicing this customer for a while right? She don't give 2 ****'s about how hard you worked this season, how you do the work first then she payes... ****... my freak'n moms maid gets paid before she picks up a broom..... if it was me... and I knew that leaving off on a bad note with this customer wouldn't affect my name publicly, I would recieve last months pay and not come back period! No calls,, and no answers from calls from that customer!

4. daveyo

from N.J.

Last visit I tell her she needs a light clean up, I show her and her husband the property. Leafs in the driveway, beds, sidewalks, pathways, curb areas and obviously in the lawn area along with oak branches and mega pine needles. I tell her I can do it before I mow the lawn and I'll charge you $42 wopping big dollars for the clean up and $35 for regular mowing. It takes me and one guy about 40 min to clean. She gets the bill full aware of the charge and calls me. She isn't mad but just wonders why I cant do a two in one. So she tells me I'll call you if my husband and I feel we can't do it, otherwise we want to see you next year for regular mowings because we like your work.

Daveyo

5. daveyo

from N.J.

Microbe, you hit the nail right on the head. There both like 75, I told her I'm running a buisness and imagine doing all that work for the regular mowing price of $35, can't be done.

Daveyo

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I dont understand how you folks charge for a leaf cleanup, it does not go over here at all! I wished it would. Did a yard Thursday that took me 2 hours instead of one hour to blow all the staw and leaves away from the house,drive,patio:angry: and you dont get an extra dime for it. If I tried to do this might as well hang it up right now. Not one other LCO here charges extra for it neither unless they have to haul it off. Believe me if I could do it I dang sure would, because I absolutely hate from Oct. till the 2nd week of Dec.,every yard is covered in straw and leaves, a lot of yards take much longer. Now there are some I actually come out better on with no weedeating and just mulch and go.

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Please don't take offense...but it sounds like you didn't go over your price structure from the beginning. Sounds like you set up a mowing price and didn't explain to her what additional costs would be...I hate to say this...but she might have a point if you didn't spell it out in the beginning.

8. daveyo

from N.J.

LB1234,You need to read my second post a little better. Everything is explained to the customer before any work is done, period. Any other customer is either on my yearly program or as stated above , is asked before any work gets done. $42 dollars for two guys 40 minutes plus dumping the debris, pllllllease. I charge $146 an hour for regular cleanup thats with three guys including my self. Not charge for fall clean up what I am running a freaking charity! How the he** do you mow with three feet of leaves in your way, oh yea you clean em up for free. Fall clean up is great business learn how to sell it, I'm not kidding thats serious labor.

Daveyo
    O'Donnell Landscape Design

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not arguing with you. I DID read your second post.

I'm asking whether or not you pointed it out BEFORE your first mow. In other words, when you first got the account...NOT before they ask you to perform the work. Perhaps this whole situation could've been avoided...thats all I'm saying...if you did, fine...its their problem not yours.

10. daveyo

from N.J.

My contracts are short and sweet, one paragraph states"any additional work done outside the scope of this contract shall be discussed and agreed upon by both parties". I usually have them sign an agreement before hand, I learned that the hard way,however this was for only $42 and she's always paid promptly. The problem was she wanted me to include clean ups with lawn mowing, no way. She's happy with our work and is continuing us through next year, obviously it's only mowing.

Daveyo