Why you don't bid on a job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by npalomba, Feb 15, 2001.

1. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

Do you turn down work due to factors of equipment? For example, I just didn't bid on a job because the house has a fence that I can't fit any of the bigger decks through... I didn't want to mow approx. an acre with a 21 inch deck; I would have to charge quite a bit to do this.

Is this a good business practice? I explained to the customer that I would have to charge them by the hour to do the back yard but I don't think they understood that it could be expensive.

2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have done the same thing we do not do any lawns that we can not get our 52" in to the back yard!!!

3. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Last year I looked at a bunch of sites for one management co., all but 3 or 4 were too big. Would have taken myself & my employee 2 days just to cut. We have a 60"ZTR, 48" hydr walk & 32" belt walk. They were like 200 units or more, that time dosen't include shrubs, mulch, fertilizing, or weeding. This year I will bid them, I have another employee(now 2), probably adding another 60" ZTR & a baby on the way, extra $$ would be nice. I'm going to bid them but if we are full then were full. I don't think I can afford to expand more than a certaian $$ value & still get quality & production. I would need time to train employees & teach them about production. So yes I do turn down work, I think most responsible contractors will.

4. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

for large yards with small gates always suggest that they have a fence company install a larger gate.and that it may cost some money to start but it will save in the long run.tell them approx. tell them how much it would cost to do with a push mower and i'm sure they would agree to go for the bigger gate.most of the time you will get landscape work out of that gate job too moving bushes and such.IF YOU DON'T TELL THEM SOMEBODY ELSE WILL and all you can do is kick yourself! as for to much work i just hate the thought of growing to fast it could kill you and the biz.

5. Hello Everybody:

I would have gave price both ways, here where I live people pay more sometimes to have complete lawn mowed with 21" mower, I think it's crazy but some folks are like that.

What Kills Me, is why would anyone want a little gate only going into their back yard to start with? I would want 1 of each. Walk through & Drive through Both!

It seems to me that I every once in a while need to carry something into the back yard with Truck & Some Times a Trailer Too!

Just My Thoughts!

6. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

If I don't feel a property or owner/manager will mesh well with my business...then I don't bid on the job. Too often when going against gut feeling I regret it later. It's easier to adapt equipment to do a job then get customer to change their spots to stripes. If you want a job, explain equipment needs and/or property modifications to customer...they may really want your service and be willing to put in larger gate etc..It's hard to justify $7k mower sitting on trailer unless getting paid big $ to push trim mower. If you can get big $ to push trim mower, why buy $7k big deck mower? Hmmm...

7. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

So many factors, but yes, I turn down jobs for equipment reasons. I do not like using a 21" mower on big areas, even if the money is good. Great money and I might think about it, but usually I see it as I could be mowing somewhere else alot easier for the same or more money.

8. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

Thanks all; I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy, I plow for these people, good customers, good pay and I didn't want to turn them down but... I know I could line up enough business to keep the big mover going.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My motto is "if I can't ride it, then I wont cut it". I gave some customers the option of putting in double gates to accomidate my ZTR mowers. They all said no, so I had to drop them. I now use a 21" mower about 1 hour total a week to trim on some high dollar jobs.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 02-15-2001 at 08:28 PM]

10. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I usually leave the push mowing jobs to the school kids..I have about 4 backyards that have to be pushed but they are very small areas in high end subdivisions...Most of these backyards have in-ground pools and only take a few minutes...As far as large areas, NO WAY...!!!Derrick