1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

why you need systems

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Efficiency, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Why do you need systems for your business?

Ive had two different property management co's drop last minute bid requests on us. The one Im emailing right now is worth 1.8mil.

I had employees who have no idea how to estimate complete these for me. These bids are accurate because they followed the system I engineered for them. Believe it or not, we have not even been on property yet!

Without our system, we would have had to pass on these opportunities. Just thought I would provide some motivation to start creating systems and SOP for your organization. Its critical!

Stop posting on lawnsite and start working on your business! Take this dare: cut out lawnsite from every other day in a week and replace it with process engineering. See what happens in a months time!

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

good post buddy

3. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Give me an example of this system you have.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. krzys555

krzys555 LawnSite Member

i have a couple questions about your system for estimating.
    how do you have it set up.
    do you use sq ft or estimated time.
    do you have a difficulty factor or no.
    i am looking to set up a estimating system for people to use, secretary or a sales person. so that the estimates are always the same.
    i am not looking for prices.
    could you post an example pm me a a screenshot.

5. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good point, and our primary focus this season. That being said, however, this is a very rural area with MANY hills and banks and slopes. There would be too much risk in giving bids on MOST places in my area without visiting the property first.

6. exmarkking

Can you explain your system to us? Or at least give up some ideas on how to start systems?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

my est system is far from perfect but for mowing I use a min charge for 5000 sq ft then an add charge for each additional 1000 then I charge extra for fences, hills, alot of trees etc.

8. exmarkking

do you measure linear feet of edging? What about pruning shrubs? What all goes into the equation to get your prize?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Turf Z

Turf Z LawnSite Member

I'm no veteran but this seems highly risky.

10. RMLC_BZN

RMLC_BZN LawnSite Member

Just curious, how do you know your bids are accurate if you haven't been on the job site yet?