Why you should have mowing contracts.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 944own, Apr 25, 2011.

1. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

First let me say since yesterday morn I have been sick as a dog and really did not feel like working today. I went out this morn anyway, had 4 yards I needed to mow. I cut the first 2 feeling like I was about to die. Then I came to the 3rd yard last name (Patel). A couple of weeks ago while mowing this lady stops me and asks me for a price. I give it to her and cut her yard. We agree on a price and biweekly and I said I will just leave a bill at the end of the month. I get there today and the yard is already cut. I see her outside and stop to find out what happened and take into consideration how sick I am today. She says her husband cut it and I can cut it next time. I told her that is not how it works and I guess he can just cut it from now on and would you like to settle your bill now. She gets me a check and I leave. That is just BS you either want me to mow or not. PS I am about to go to the doctor.

2. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u LawnSite Senior Member

I have had that, I be too nice to my costumers but I still have them and people appreciate not everything being about big business.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

I to am not using contracts currently and it does suck. Happens all the time. Bi-weekly turns into every 3 weeks, and instead of calling they let you come out to find out they had already mowed... You just have to drop people. Those very ones are the same ones that will not sign a contract though. So atleast you got some money out of it. If I feel someone is shady and has really tall grass. I charge then accordingly becuase I do not know if they will be return customers. I will be using contracts at the start of next season. I dont have time for people's bs war stories any more.

4. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

I know guys and I am usually the nicest guy you could meet it was just something about that it just rubbed me the wrong way. If I was not so sick I probably would have just said OK I will mow it in 2 weeks but I really dont care she seemed like a PITA anyway. Not being racist but all the indians I have worked for did not last very long anyway they always want more than they pay for.

5. stuntmanlogan

stuntmanlogan LawnSite Senior Member

If something like that happens to me. I ask the customer if they could call me before I show up next time. This has happened to me one time in 7 years. None of my customers want to ever mow there own lawn lol.

6. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I agree with working with forgien people...they never understand the job and then ask for more work when your done. Once I was hired to clean out a fire pit of wood and bricks then it changed into hand searching every inch to be free of screws and nails.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

Ahh yeah. They stop me in neighborhoods all the time for one time mows. I caught on quickly and started charging more. Either they took it or they didn't. No sweat off my back either way.

8. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

We have service agreement forms for EVERY yard. If a person has more than one property they sign an agreement form for each property. Also they receive a letter explaining each service we offer and how each are handled.

9. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

bi weekly clients are like that...they do not care about their lawn, nor do they want to spend the money on their lawn.....drop them and find a weekly cutting client

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Never be the "on call guy". They turn into schedule busters that detract from your loyal ones. Biweekly or weekly, new customers are due for the entire month after the FIRST cut. This has cut way down on the "drop the service after you get the yard looking good" routine.
    Posted via Mobile Device