Why you shouldnt buy a timemaster

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by petscanning, Apr 1, 2012.

1. petscanning

petscanning LawnSite Member

If you are only doing bermuda no problem but if you are doing fescue or any grass similar this thing mulches so well it turn into a fine paste. I plugs the whole thing up and as soon as you let go of the blade stop it will drop 15lbs of grass paste on the ground then there is another 10 lbs inside the mower you will need to mow. Doesn't matter if you have the bagger open and the side shoot as well.
    Never thought something could mulch so well that its a actual problem. Anyone using the Timemaster and not having the same problem? I have 3 yard including mine that have fescue and we havent had rain in 2 weeks and its a nightmare to mow.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Ugg, I would not want that thing around with wild spring growth northern turfgrass.
    Plug city sounds like.
    Would be worse than BOP's decks (at least they stripe nice)

3. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

I have a timemaster and am not far from you. I have not had that problem, but then again we bag everything. The only problem I have had is that I do have to scrape it every day (and I never scraped mowers before, just pressure washed every three days or so). The other problem I have is that it's under powered for thick growth and bagging. However, on the occasion that I do mulch it will cut foot tall grass easy. (i. e. my back yard that I wasn't able to start mowing til last week because I've been working 12 hour days)

4. orlawncaresvc

orlawncaresvc LawnSite Senior Member

I believe the reasons you guys are having these problems with this mower is because that mower is not a commercial grade mower. If I'm correct is this mower the one with a stamped deck? There is your main problem with the mulching. And also the engine on this thing is no good.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The best part is we haven't into gotten into the killer summer crabgrass season. And Burmuda isn't really growing good yet.

6. mojokat

mojokat LawnSite Member

Yes, I had the same problem. Clogged up deck even bagging. Most rear baggers I've used throw the grass directly back unless the plug is in place, this thing seems to mulch the hell out of it then throw it in the bag, as is evident when dumping the bag plus the clogged deck as if you were mulching. Defeats the whole purpose of bagging IMHO.

But, that was the least of my troubles with the Timemaster and I returned mine to HD the next day.

7. petscanning

Well I called http://www.oconnorslawn.com/ here in OKC and told them my problem and they said they would take it back and swap me the difference for another. Thank goodness.

8. TForan

TForan LawnSite Member
    from MI

First timer poster and hello to everyone. I've mowed my own lawn , which is around a half acre four times with the Timemaster. What I experienced was about the same as been reported, in regards to the clogging of the deck. It doesn't mulch it, it turns it into compost!

After reading another post about pitch, I raised the rear a little less that one half inch and completely solved the problem. At least in my case.

Other than that,I think it cuts very nicely and is easy to operate, except for that finger pinching power handle. That came right off.

9. petscanning

I even tried that as well. We Toro rep said they haven't heard of any problems but Oconners is letting me swap to a commercial honda instead so im good now

10. TForan

TForan LawnSite Member
    from MI

Here's the first mow of the year, which was March 15, and that's about month early.:) Not sure on the grass, I guess rye and bluegrass.

[​IMG]