why??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by supercuts, Mar 17, 2008.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

why?? that is the question i pose to so many landscapers i see. today i passed a brand new 08 superduty dually diesel lariat loaded pulling a regular open trailer with a built on plywood leaf box and a brand new giant vac loader on the front of the trailer. trailer didnt dump at all.

all i was thinking was...couldnt you have bought 04-05 used truck for $20-25k, saved $20-25k and bought at least a dump trailer?? he'll never pay that thing off shovel leaves out of a box that big.

time after time i see setups that dont make sense. last year saw an 03ish dually lariat pulling a 6x12 open trailer with 2 ancient run down walk behinds. again, IMO, buy a ranger and spend you $$ on a mower that will efficiently make $$ and then save and buy your nice trucks.

again, just my oppinion

2. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

It's a great opinion and one that many should consider---nobody needss an ego stroking 50 grand truck to pull mowing equip around! It's just not good business sense!

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

They prolly think they are beating uncle sam

4. personally I don't care what anybody has, If they want a brand new truck or drive a beat up truck I don't care, it's their money. I have more important things to worry about than that. Bottom line is it takes all kinds to make the world go around. Don't sweat the small stuff.

5. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

just a bit judgemental are we? maybe they don't mow professionally. maybe they part time mow and that's their regular everyday truck.

dang man

6. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

LOL....why dont you flagg the guy down and ask him why. Then maybe you would get your answer.

I have to laugh because I have already driven down the road with my 2007 f-250 lariet with a 18 ft trailer carrying my 15 year old 52 inch toro walk behind. Yep , just that machine. And yes, it does look a little silly on that big trailer.

Would you drive by me asking yourself why? Well if you pulled me over and asked, my answer would be that I am headed down to the shop to fix it. I use this mower at my own personal place of residence.
    Do I have any other equipment you ask. Yes, actually I have a few trucks and trailers and quite a few lazers and 60" hydro walk behinds to fill all these trailers. All of this equipment being 2005 or newer.
    Most ppls set ups may make sense to them at the time. But again, why don't you just flag them down and ask them why. Then maybe you may get a good answer. If anything, you can come back to us with the funny stories these ppl may tell you.

Actually, I just reread your post. it says you pose the question of why to so many landscapers you see. So please tell us, what have their answers been. These so many landscapers you have posed this question to. LOL

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Did it ever occure to you that just maybe it is there personal vehical also? Maybe they have a race car to tow like I do? Maybe they have a big boat. You just never know. When I buy a truck its going to be a nice new GM K2500 crew cab with either the 6.0 or the duramax with allison transmission. It will be used for more than just my work like hauling kids someday and towing my race car/street rod around. Then again we do have nice equipment being towed behind it and dont look trashy like some guys.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
    :clapping:

What I dont understand is HOW people Dont Understand it ......:confused:

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i work side by side with this guy with the 2 old mowers.. he is at his lawn an unbelievable amount of time. if he had a few 60" z's i think he'd bring one to this property. if i'd of pasted you i dont think i would have had an oppinion because ive never seen you before. other than the brand new truck i saw today, i recignize most trucks/landscapers. perhaps not by name but from seeing them so often. you kinda get a feel for them and what they have and what type of work they do.

10. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think Supercuts raises a good point because the majority of this site and the "other" one are primarily involved in saving every nickel possible, on everything from trimmer line, plugs---you name it-------buying on line-- buying cheap gear drives China made stuff-----by passing the local dealers to buy from people thay don't know---yet---so many 'stroke the ego" with trucks that cost a small fortune to own, operate and watching it depreciate......