Why?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by paul, Feb 21, 2002.

1. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Why do Landscape Architects spec 200 lbs of seed per acre and 1200 lbs of Hydro-mulch but expect you to have 100% coverage in one growing season? I'm looking at a 15 acre job that they want planted in mid May (good luck) and playable next year! There is no way it could happen with what they are calling almost 100% blue grass. even sod farms wait 18 -24 months for their sod to be harvestable!

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

When god was passing out brains, they thought he said.....

3. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Because they listen to the seed reps who tell them, and everyone else, that your seed rate should be 3 to 5 lbs. per 10000. A little practicle experience on their parts would help in knowing that blue grass at this rate takes forever. Now go to a modern rye, little different story. Couldn't agree more Paul and Stone.

4. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

The Hydro Turf Planters Association is in the process of creating specifications to eliminate this kind of stuff.
    :blob3:

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Sean, At the rate they move it would be 30 years before they change their ways but I'm all for getting some real specs written!

6. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

With the specs. in hand you would be able to drop them on the desk and have something in writing endorsed by Ag. Universities and HTPA. This would make it very hard for them to not except the specs. and change theirs to meet the requirements of the job.

7. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Oops! 1 too many 0's in my previous post, should be 3 to 5 per 1000. My bad.:rolleyes:

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Wow your getting way with using 40 lbs per acre LOL
    Not much differance with the one too many 0 :)