whys it so hard to grow!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DiSantolandscaping, Jul 7, 2014.

1. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

So I've been mowing for years, I've lost a few of my accounts do to hard times and they closed their doors etc. But why is it everyone else seems to be growing up big and great but i can't even get a phone call… I don't go door to door and hand out flyers because where i live you'll get shot.. what else can i do to drum up some work.. i got competitive pricing and know what to do just can't get anything to do….vent over sorry.

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

What's your marketing budget?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

not much right now i just bought a new trailer and zero turn plus i work a 48 hour a week job… Im trying to grow enough that if i get the work I'm good but I'm thinking flyers up in stores, and trying to get my Facebook likes spread around so i can get new people to see my work that way as well. I do good work just can't seem to get the chance to show it… the lawns I've got I've had for years now… just figured its time to get this going but i know its the wrong time of the year to really grow. just the phone ringing would be nice

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Location. Location. Location.

This has to be the most important aspect from all the reading I've done here.

I'm ready to pay to STOP the calls. I'm not bragging, I'm seriously being called continuously - and I haven't advertised anywhere in 2 years.
    As near as I can figure it's just a numbers game - I live just outside a city, so there are tons and tons of people looking for service - ALL THE TIME.

I just wish I were located closer to the really good paying areas.

5. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

What's your budget, all of the things you listed are free and won't differentiate you from competition.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gottabsleeved

gottabsleeved LawnSite Member

I got started mostly from running in my city newspaper.Old people read the paper.LOL

7. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

well after insurance and paying bills and all of that i don't have a marketing budget left for this year.. I know in the spring time ill be all set because i can go bid on stores banks etc, i even already have one lined up for next season i just need help with work now to get me through the winter… I have a 5 or 6 page business plan, i have service agreements, I've got flyers business cards etc. just don't know what to do with it all i guess at this point of time in the season..

8. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Local chamber of commerce, sponsor an athletic team, network with other lco's, call local realtors, management companies.......

All low or no cost ways to get your name out there. Marketing via FB is a waste of time IMHO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I advertised like crazy in the spring and still am now and my phone won't stop ringing. My work speaks for itself also.
    But I agree location is everything, image is everything, quality of work is everything. It sounds like your full time job keeps you pretty busy, that can also be holding you back from growing as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

yea actually i get most of my work from being where i am because i work at a auto parts store and talk to a lot of people but i do need to do something to get going… now that i have a zero turn and a trailer i feel like i can do more work more efficiently. i did a drive way install this spring and the guy loves it just gotta keep plugging away. i can bid three big landscape jobs for a general contractor but I'm hung up on the lawn, and loam totals for beds, tree holes, and shrubs. For beds they want 12 in deep of loam mixed with peat moss. well thats fine and dandy but my formula for mulch doesn't seem to work in my head with large amounts like that. i take the width x depth x length divide by 324 to get yards but all the places around me go by tons...