1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wich mini-ex for drain tile and septic installs?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by redhornet, Aug 24, 2006.

1. redhornet

redhornet LawnSite Member

Wich mini-ex's would you guys recommend for digging around houses to install drain tile,and for rural septic installation?

I have Cat,Deere,and bobcat nearby.thanx
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That really depends. If size isn't an issue, go with a 4-5 ton machine. Our 303 is a great machine for what we use it for and I've taken on some mighty large tasks for a machine its size, but always get the biggest machine you can afford, it always pays off in the end.
  3. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

Ding septic work i would say get a 5 ton + machine, something like a kubota kx161, or if you need zero tail the u45. Didnt mention if you are looking to buy new or used?
  4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If your installing drain tile on existing homes that might be tougher. You'll want as small a machine as you can get by with to get in and around houses and landscape. However you need to have a 10 foot dig depth. That only comes in 10k and beyond machines. However IHI makes a 7500 pound machine 35NX that has an extendahoe. Generally I would, as Scag said, error on the side of larger. I get along great with a 12K machine. Mine is within two inches of being zero tail and zero swing. At 6.5 feet in width I can take that machine almost anywhere, which is pretty good for a large mini ex. I can set 500 gallon tanks and two piece thousand gallon tanks. Mine is a TK 53FR.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The TK53 with its side to side boom does sound ideal for working next to buildings.

I think that people need to understand that to replace a damaged drain, or install permiter drains, the landscape is going to get damaged :)
  6. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

We have 2 Bobcat 430 4 ton zero house swing machines. We just finished a complete redo of the drain tile on a house. These machines have worked great for us in tight areas and that's why we have them, just for jobs like this.They weigh 8500 lbs and have a 10 ft reach stock. We have the extra long dipper and now have 11 ft of reach. It also depends on dealer support and what you have for towing the machine.
  7. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We run Kubotas U35/45 . Non z turn = kx121/161. We would buy again in a second.:waving:
  8. redhornet

redhornet LawnSite Member

Thanx for the tips guys,I dont know my self if it will be new or used,depends what I can find and at what price.
    My first job awaits me its a complete drain tile install on a good sized older house that never had tile installed,any tips as to doing this?I imagine I would dig down to bottom of footing all the way around,till the sump,lay the tile,cover with washed rock and backfill?what about skimming the sod off with a skid steer first to be able to lay it back later?also do you dig out the topsoil and pile it seperate from the clay?thanx so much........if its a flop,thats o.k. cause its my brother-inlaws house:nono:
  9. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

I wouldnt worry about trying to save the sod. If your going to be trenching and throwing your material the the side you'll have more messed up sod anwho. While im diging i might make 2 rows of spoils outside my trench , one close to the trench clay, and on the outside the better material. Or just say the hell with it and bring in a load of topsoil after you get backfilled, spred it, seed it, call it done.
  10. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

We always put a few inches of gravel down first, then the pipe, then more gravel. This keeps the pipe off the dirt and a better chance of not clogging. We also put some fabric over the gravel before we backfill to try and keep that as clean as we can. As far as saving the sod, good luck with that. Tell the customer they're probably looking at a resod or seeding when done.