Wick applicator-home made

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bob, Sep 1, 2002.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

How do you make a home made wick applicator? I remember someone had given instruction one time. I couldn't find it on a search.
  2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

We sell these things cheap enough, but I suppose anyone could make one in less than an hour.

About 5 or 6 feet of 1/2" PVC pipe, a 45 degree fitting, & 2 caps (the lower one glued). Add 2 holes on the bottom length, then hot glue some lamp cord into the holes.

Should look like a hockey stick when it's done.

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Cheaper to buy, hard to get the right rope for a wick so that it doesn't drip.
  4. Bushman

Bushman LawnSite Member

For small trouble areas such as initial clean up try this,

Put on your chemical gloves
    put on one or two cotton gloves on top of the chemical gloves
    dip fingers in round-up solution or chemical of your choice
    go to work (THE TOUCH OF DEATH)
    dispose of cotton gloves.

Cheap, easy, precise and easy to store on the truck. :)
  5. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

The glove trick works great!! I use that often. I also made pads that go on an EZ-Reacher that is normally used to pick up trash. I have a small bucket with a rubber lid that has a slot cut in it. I stick the pads down in the bucket and then squeeze the handle to absorb and then ring out the eccess pesticide. I then walk along and grab the target pest plant with the EZ-Griper and pads and pull up gently. This leaves a good coat of pesticide on the plant and I go to the next palnt. Saves my back too! I store the pads in a ziplock bag and use it with the same type solution next time.