1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wicked lawn mower vibrations

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by peacefrogx, May 12, 2005.

1. peacefrogx

peacefrogx LawnSite Member
    from ny

I'm assuming this is a fairly easy problem for this board to help me out with. I have a relatively new lawn mower (21" 7.0 hp self-propelled with a dual blade for mulching ), used maybe a dozen times. The first couple of times I used the mower it was as smooth as silk. But subsequently, it now vibrates to the point that after a typical 45 minute cut my hands are numb and sore from holding onto it :realmad:. It cuts fine but I was just wondering if anyone could suggest what might be the problem and a possible solution. I'd rather not take it into the shop for something I feel can be self-diagnosed and corrected at home. I'm just looking for a little direction as to what the problem may be and where to start looking.

2. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Have you sharpened your blades lately? I would guess that they are out of balance. A unbalanced blade will also rob a lot of horsepower. Check out the Maga-Matic balancers. http://www.magna-matic.com/
  3. Cleanmaxx Brian

Cleanmaxx Brian LawnSite Member

You have a blade that is out of balance. This if not fixed will tear up the bearings as well!
  4. SteveInMD

SteveInMD LawnSite Member

I'm having sticker shock over the Magna-Matic balancer. They seem to be very proud of their products. I'm sure they work very well. Can anyone recommend a product for a small operation?
  5. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

Start simple. Are all bolts tight? Are any bolts missing? Is a blade bent or broken? Are the blades balanced? (Much cheaper to contact local shops and pay a few dollars per blade to have them balanced than to make the investment yourself as a homeowner.) Have you hit anything with the mower that could have warped the deck?

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Fill a bucket up with water. Take blades off ,then stick a screwdriver thru the hole. Then hold above water then ck 2 see if one side hits b4 the other.