Wide-area Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oldturf, Jun 24, 2005.

1. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I am looking at the J.D. 1600 and the Toro D-4000 mowers new at around $40,000.00. Today I drove by a used Howard Price 1260, 1996 model, 126" cut with 1,900 hours on it. They want $5,400.00 for this beast. It has a 40 HP yanmar diesel that starts easy and runs good , all hydros work well and he will take me out to demo this machine. The price is seemingly good but I don't know anything about these mowers or parts availability. Has anyone had any experience with these and would you be afraid of a machine this old.

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I definitely would not be afraid of the Yanmar Diesel - They run about 15,000 hrs. I know nothing about the machine itself, but if it looks heavy duty, and has been maintained, what can go wrong other than a spindle bearing or belt here and there.

For that price, I would take it somewhere, and just have all the idlers, and bearings in the deck replaced, and start new.

Just my .02

Thanks Brad

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I run two 455-D Toro's. Probably close to the 4000 that toro offers now. I have had great luck with ours. One is 2 wheel and the other is 4x4 for the ditch work. We have one large property that these mower maintain. Both purchased used, both units have around 2500 hrs and still strong. That is my 2 cents about our Toro's. The need to buy new is great but I can by with these used ones for a very long time.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen some of the howard price stuff. A lot of goverment places have them. They are a no trills mower. But way over built. They are for very heavy use.

5. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Got any pictures? I just bought a JD1600 over a Toro becuase we don't have a local shop to service the Toro. Hustler makes a big boy too but they are in the same boat here. No dealer.

6. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I have really been looking at the JD1600 but I have always been happy with Toro too.
    My dealer is great and he handles both. What did you have to pay for your JD1600? If its any of my business.
    Do you really see around 9 acres an hour average.
    The Howard Price is a real temptation. At that price I could afford to spend some money on it and still be way ahead,but they quit making it in 1996. My dealer can't get parts. I called the home office and there are no dealers in Oklahoma. I know that I am going to need parts and service, so that is a concern.
    If I buy a new JD or Toro I know that I will be happy, but not to sure about the Howard Price. I need to decide something.
    Please get back to me about price and number of acres mowed per hour.
    Thanks

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The first thing I'd look at is that it's a 40 hp diesel.

Both the JD 1600 and the Toro have at least a 60 hp diesel now.

My rep said even the 1600 was underpowered until they put a turbo to it.

I'd be afraid of that 40 hp diesel as far as power, seeing as what's standard now is 20 hp more plus a turbo.

I know that $5,400 looks tempting, but if you're only going 2 mph with the thing because there's not enough power there, might as well be on a 60" ZTR.

8. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I am a Green Fleet buyer so my price was $42.1K out the door with a canopy.

9. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

Our school district has two wide area Jacobsen mowers and they absolutly love them. They really cut down on the manpower required to cutthe 90+ mowable acreas they have to cut between 5 buildings. Needless to say they see alot of action. Our town is small enough to that they just drive them to each school

10. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I bought a new jacobsen hr5111 last year, total hydro spindles (no maint.) 51 hp kubota with 4x4...works like nothing else...love it $42,000.00
    11' cutting width, locking diff. when needed....just to many darn tires on it to go flat :p