Wide area mowers.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Nov 21, 2005.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We currently have a hustler 4600 series range wing that is getting older and frankly breaks more than it runs.....the radiator just went on the thing and hustlers rep wants $1,000 for a freaking radiator. instead of dumping money into it, we are considering just replacing it. i know the groundsmasters and john deeres are pretty big money but just curious if anybody on here has recently purchased either of the two and how they like them? i would like to have at least an 11 foot cut. we mainly use the machine 1-2 days a week for a couple of our larger condos, one of which was an old golf course and has 54 acres to cut. what can i expect to pay for one of these units. im thinking around 30k, but i know some of the better models can run 40-50k.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

This way you can save 10-15k and have two mowers that can mow almost any property, rather than have a big WAM mower that you only use 2 days a week. I think you should seriously consider this b/c you could keep two big z's busy all week long and get your moneys worth out of them. Check out the Exmark Lazer XS, Scag Sabre tooth tiger, Dixie chopper (supposed to eat big areas of turf for breakfast).

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ya....but then you have to pay two extra guys to run those mowers. we already have 4 riders.....and they are all busy mowing the rest of the complex. the whole purpose of the wide area mower is to get the job done real quick. i know what you are saying, but i dont need two more riders. I want a front pto machine that i can mow with in the summer, put our agri metal leaf blower on in the fall, and plow/snowblow with in the winter.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Well I think i'd be looking at the Toro Groundsmaster, or John Deere like you said with wing decks.

I like what John Deere has to offer with the Yanmar Diesel, but it really all comes down to the dealer.

5. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

I have been considering a wam and have demoed the toro 580d, it is nice, but is 16'.

6. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We've got 2 4100D's and love them. We run them at the parks and schools. They run 55 hours a week without any issues.

7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I run 2 455-D's 3 days a week. Great machines, never have a problem, mow great.

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

nevermind I can't read.....

Get a new one and have the old one completely overhauled this winter in your own shop with new parts and your labor.