Wide blades? Ever used them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by UGA, Apr 25, 2003.

1. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Before anyone flames me I have searched using wide AND blades and have read for a couple of hours and haven't read anything pertaining to this. I have a 52" GDane Surfer that calls for 2 1/2 wide blades 18"long w/ a 5/8" center hole. Since I am fairly new to owning and maintaining a commercial mower I got taken not once but twice with dealers and local shops passing off med. lift blades as high lifts. Now that I know what a high lift looks like, I won't let that happen again. I had to tell a shop yesterday just to forget it when the guy first tried to pass off some med lifts and after I called him on it tried to pass off some 17 3/4" blades that I quickly measured to show him wouldn't work.
    Anyway, my question is this, has anyone used the wide (3") high lift blades? In the JThomas catalog they are listed as SG-B442 I believe; they are listed under Scag blades. I am talking with Oregon (Kevin) to find my state distributor and searching J.Thomas to find what I'm looking for and came across these. I wondered if they would give me even more lift that a 2 1/2 high lift. Also, do any of you guys use the heavy duty blades (.240 or.250 as apposed to .204 blade thickness)? Thank for any advice on this you can give.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Blade width and lift are two different things. I am not sure you understand this, but maybe you do. Going to a wider blade should not change the lift characteristic of a blade. The wider blade will give you longer blade life by allowing you to sharpen it more.

I think the blades length is measured from corner to corner like a TV screen, so a 17.75" blade measured from flat end to end is actually an 18" blade when measured from point to point diagonally.

Jimbo

3. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

measuring of the blade but having had ones last year that measured 17 3/4 end to end and having them leave a 1/2" strip everywhere I've gone to only 18" exactly.
    I am aware of the difference in width and pitch but had wondered about the performance of these blades and why 3" instead of 2 1/2"? So have you ever used them Jimbo?

4. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I use the blades that u are talking about from JThomas. Very good blades. The Hi-lift wide blade helps suck the grass up for a good cut. They are also good for fall when I run doubles and have the wides on bottom.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I have used the wide blades. Again, I dont see any benefit as far as performance is concern. They do last longer because you have more to "sharpen" away. Notice how I didnt say grind.

Jimbo