Wide brim hat with earmuff type hearing protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chariot, Mar 27, 2003.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I am wanting to order some of the hearing protection with the radio in them. I wear a wide brim hat and was wondering if anyone else does this, will it work? It seems like the hat will be in the way. Should I find another type of hat? Thanks

2. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I wear a "Tilley T3" wide brim hat (best hat made!) and I know headphones wouldn't work for me. Earbuds would...

I'd KEEP the hat and find different headphones.

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Just fold the sides up, or get your self one of those baseball caps with the tail that covers your neck.:D

4. Dependable Lawncare

Dependable Lawncare LawnSite Member

I have the Peltor headphones that wrap around the neck instead of over the top. I use ear buds underneath. The wide brim hats work with this set-up.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Since you like the wide brim hat, which helps to keep the sun off your face and neck just, go with a different kind of hearing protection. I personally love to hear the tones but not when running the equipment. Each to their own.

Gravely_Man

6. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I too wear the wide brim hat, but never a radio, so that issue means nothing to me. My Dr. insists on the wide brim. He says if you don;t wear a hat with brim all the way around, not to bother at all. I didn't wear a hat or cap at all for years, now I have all of these pre cancerous spots on my face, ears etc.

Doug
    Austreim landscaping

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Too late to edit my post but that should have been "tunes" and not "tones"!

Gravely_Man

8. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

I don't understand ? hearing protection so you can blow your ears with misic instead of engine noise. With the music you may simply have more fun while losing your hearing but the end result is the same.

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Mabey with the earbud type stero headphones, but not with a set of peltor selects or elvix hearing protection, you listen to music at a normal level and all the noise stays out. For the first years that I was doing this work, I used a walkman and jammed all day. I did get a lot of work done, and also I am very lucky that I didn't mess up my hearing. For a while I have been using the kind of protection that goes into the ear, it works good, but no tunes. Now I will be using a set of peltor or elvix hearing protectors and listen to tunes while I work.

10. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

You could probally get a neck strap for the ear muffs, and then wear any hat you want, I need to look for something like too, I cant work with out the tunes, and I need a large hat this summer.