wide cut mowers/ commercial mowers- walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shm, Aug 17, 2003.

1. shm

shm LawnSite Member

Hey all...I just purchased a used Troy Bilt wide cut mower 33inch deck...i got a great deal on it- under $900...it retails for about 1400..anyway..i figured I'd give it a shot....I haven't been happy with the cut...and the blades are sharp....I have an acre of lawn that I mow...and it seems that the pick-up or "Vacuum action" on this mower isn't very good...anyone else use this mower before?.....also If I decide to get rid of it...what would anyone suggest for buying a commercialwalk behind- pref. would be a 36-48 inch deck tops...under 2500...suggestions welcome....i mostly mulch when i mow so i am looking for something that mulches and "stripes" the lawn well and of course gets a "clean" cut

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

3. shm

shm LawnSite Member

which model...how much?...i haven't looked at these at all so give me some insite if you could

thanks

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Watch those front plastic wheels on the Troy Built. My friend has one and he says that they break easily.

5. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with the nest on this one. EXMARK the one!!!!!:blob3:

6. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

SHM,

I went through the same decisions as you earlier this year. I first got to try out a troy bilt. It is a good homeowner machine but it is not suited for commercial applications and it does not leave a good cut. Like you, I noticed that the mower lacked air flow and thus the grass was never lifted up and seemed like it was being matted. Then I got to try a 32" Toro and a 32" Ferris Hydro. Both were like being taken from the dark ages into the 21st century especially with the Ferris. They are way stronger, more productive and leave a much nicer cut. My advice to you is if you have the work and the money, sell the Troybilt and go out a get a nice commericial walk behind. You will be much happier and more confident when cutting and your customers will probably be more confident in you. Good Luck.

7. shm

shm LawnSite Member

Joed..thanks so much for the feedback...i thought i was going nuts when i would literally see the mower blow away a leaf instead of mulching it with the troy bilt.....i was looking at the snapper 36 inch version...but i will take a look at the toro...not sure if there is a ferris dealer around here...what kind of prices am i looking at for those?...i'd like to spend less than 2500....i was also looking at the John deere Gs30 and gs45...2500 and 2900 respectively....

thanks again

8. shm

shm LawnSite Member

how much for the exmark version....i'm assuming the metro or metro hp?

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

$1999.00 eXmark metro 36" belt

10. shm

shm LawnSite Member

okay- so if i get rid of the troy bilt - here are my options...and I'm not sure of prices here....i don't want to spend over 2500...I'd prefer 2000

anyway-here are my options
    exmark metro 36 inch deck maybe HP model...price?
    snapper 32 inch..i think there 36 inch is too expensive?
    toro -32 or 36 inch deck

any thoughts?
    any prices?.....the 36 inch fixed deck for the exmark metro 2g
    others?