Width of 48 Great Dane Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by colawn, Dec 14, 2007.

1. colawn

colawn LawnSite Member
    from co

Hey guys I am looking at purchasing a Great Dane stander but need the width of the mower at the widest place to know if it will fit in my gates. The website says tire to tire width but that is like 59 inches. I think they mean width from the front tire to the back tire. Any of you guys that have a 48 great dane stander if you could tell me the width I would appreciate it. I am looking at one with the kohler engine on it as well. Any problems? Thanks:)

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say....48"

USUALLY, the tires are narrower than the deck. Ive never seen one that wasn't.

3. colawn

colawn LawnSite Member
    from co

yeah I know that but I am want the exact width of the mower at the widest point. Some decks are 48 but in reality at 49.5 or something like that. I am just wanting the exact width.
    Thanks

4. grass-scapes

The mower is 48 inches wide. The cutting width (according to the owners manual) is 47.5 inches wide. It makes no sense at all for a mower to be wider than the deck.

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Most (nearly all) mowers are just a little wider than the advertised cutting width.

6. colawn

colawn LawnSite Member
    from co

exactly that is why I need the exact width of this mower.

7. grass-scapes

well, since I did look up the owners manual, I am pretty sure that this mower is 48" wide. Cutting width is 47.5 and if you factor the thickness of the mowing deck......voila.....48"

If a mower IS any wider than the advertised cutting width, its only going to be the thickness of the deck times and of course the discharge chute. I am not factoring that in, since it can be removed. However, I would recommend you make a trip to your Great Dane dealer or make a phone call instead of asking people on this website and getting several answers. this is probably what you should have done in the first place.

Go to their website, download the owners manual, and also get the parts manual while you are at it. They are both available for download on their website.

It irks the hell out of me when someone asks for an answer and then disputes or chooses to ignore. Do your research and get your own answer.

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Our John Deere 60inch mowers are as wide (a little wider even) as our Scag 61inch turf tigers. More deck overhang on the discharge side (no chutes on any of them) plus there is a lip on the bottom of the non discharge side (If I'm remembering right).

I think he'd like someone who owns one to take an actual measurement.

9. colawn

colawn LawnSite Member
    from co

Yep that's all I was asking for. Just the actual measurement. I don't understand the need to bash people but that's human nature I guess...

10. grass-scapes

Im not bashing.....If I were, you would certainly know it. I was just stating what is TYPICALLY the case with mowers. I have a Wrignt stander, and the deck size is listed at 52, but the width is more like 53 with the chute OFF. my walker is listed at 48 inches and it will fit through a 48 inch gate.

What I was saying is it is very very simple to make a phone call to the dealer, or the manufacturer and ASK instead of posting a question where you will more than likely not get the answer you desire.