Wierd attitudes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Mar 11, 2001.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine here services a lot of residential jobs.
    A few of them insist that we use his 21" mower (most common
    residential mower) instead of his rider,even though the rider gives a cleaner finish.
    My guess is that they want him to "work for his money" rather than use the rider. I would tell these people to
    get someone else. How would you guys deal with this?
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

dictating equipment
    I would figure an average of $5-7/msf.
    This would depend on if the property has a lot of ornamental beds, and if there are numerous other obstacles. If you would normally get $30-35 for a 10m/sf property, plan on $50-70 for cutting them with a 21 inch unit. This service must be more because you will be spending quite a bit more time for you to do it correctly.

If clients are not willing to compensate your company for the difference in time that it will take you to bring their lawn to the appearance they are requesting, then you should refer them to another contractor who can waste his time for pennies on the dollar.

Good Luck this season!
  3. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

kutnkru, would you briefly explain your terms you are using for estimating payment. you said $5-7/msf.
    Also you used $30-35 for a 10m/sf property.

Iknow you are referring to square ft but not sure where the"m" comes in. I think it may be in the place of "thousand" but I ahd always seen that represented as "k".
    Don't worry, I am easy to lose, sometimes :)
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure if the customer really has the attitude that he wants the contractor to work for his money, or they are scared of the equipment.

Many people that aren't educated about something tend to be scared of it and stick to what they know. They may be scared that the rider will damage their turf.

I would try to educate the customer on the equipment you'd be using, and if that still doesn't change their mind, than don't bother. ( My Humble Opinion)

I would not let a customer dictate the type of equipment I use on a job. Look at it like this, your the expert, not them!! Thats why they hire you. The only way I'd give in to a request like that is to charge a ridiculously large amount to make sure it is worth the extra time I spend there, especially if you can be making easier money on another account.

Hope this helps!
  5. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

In all of my contracts it says "methods and means are to be determind by Natural Lawn" that way they dont tell me what to mow with.
  6. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

While I would respect the owners requests, since it is his property, I would suggest to him that he find someone else to service his lawn. Its been several years since I had to cut my lawn with a 21, and Im not willing to cut someone elses lawn with one. My smallest mower is a 46". I have had no call to use a 21".

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Heck ,I dont even take on yards that have to be cut with a 21 inch anymore, I pass them off to somebody that is willing to wear their selves out that day. I have one little commercial property that I have to use one on and it only takes 10 cutting minutes, thats about all I want!
  8. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Hey if the price is right, I would cut a lawn with scissors.
    All I can say is that by using the 21" you should make it well worth your time.
  9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I was trying to infer that if you would normally be charging $30-35 for a 10/m sf property we would be charging approximately $3.50/m sf of turf area.

By drastically reducing mower production I would then have to charge them anywhere from $5 to $7/m sf of turf area to be maintain, thus a fee of $50-70 per cut.

Yes it is true that people refer to a thousand as K, but when referring to lawn care the M is used instead.

Hope this helps.
  10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

How come no one told me about that!!

I never heard of that before. Guess I'm smarter now!

Learn something new everyday! :0