1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wierd Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wilson Edge, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

Hey, I was bidding on a property and a week after i submitted the bid i called to get an update. He told me that he was still waiting on one more bid. I asked him how mine compared to the others he had gotten. He said that i was the lowest untill the last bid came in. His was like a hundred off of mine but he included all of the sprinkler repair for free. Is this normal. It doesn't make sense to include something you cant calculate into your bid.....
  2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Parts are cheap. Most of the time irrigation repair is nothing more than replacing a head or two. Quote probably only includes minor repair. If it gets the bid, the price to the contractor is probably worth it.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Depends.......we just fixed 85 problems on an HOA and the parts ran almost $600 and that didn't include any controllers and this HOA has 7 controllers. More and more people want irrigation repair cost figured in....we are trying to figure out to do that also....it is like insurance.
  4. Wilson Edge

well the parts will be paid for by the H.O.A. but all the labor was included for free. I resubmitted my bid in which included all labor for sprinkler repair for free. i sill think it would be worth it. expecialy if i had an employee doing the repairs i wouldnt lose too much
  5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't that qualify as low balling? How desperate for work are you to give away your time and service?
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe he just meant sprinkler heads that they broke mowing? I wouldn't think he would mean major repairs.
  7. Wilson Edge

no im sure he meant all repairs. but i am not editing my bid any more. its not realy a low ball because im making a very substantual amount per month profit wise but if he wants me to go lower ill just tell him to give it to someone else