1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wierd Problem from 6HP Quantum

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by genesis215, May 16, 2008.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a wierd problem from a brand new 6HP Briggs & Stratton quantum engine. It runs fine for five minutes, but then sputters and dies, and can't be restarted for about half an hour. I replaced the spark plug when it first happened, and that solved it for a couple hours of use. Then it did it again, I replaced the spark plug, and it did not fix the problem. What is happening? It is a brand new engine with less than 15 hours of use.
  2. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

If it were my problem I would try to determine if its an ignition problem(like a bad coil) or a fuel problem(like a tank that is not vented properly). Test for spark after it dies and won't start. This will give you an idea where to start looking for a cure.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I know this sounds "off the wall" but I know of a similar problem caused by this. If it's not electrical, check inside your fuel tank for a sizeable piece of trash floating around.

Sometimes it takes a while for the trash to get pulled up against the fuel line and blocking off the flow. After it sits off for a while, the trash releases and the engine will run again until it gets sucked again.
  4. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

check for spark as soon as it quits. no spark= bad coil usually.
  5. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

When it starts to act like it is going to die, quickly loosen the fuel cap to allow air into the tank. If it comes out of it you have a bad fuel cap. Try it with a full tank as it will require less run time to act up. If it does not help, then it will be the coil.
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds dumb but you say it is a new engine. Did you remove the blue shipping plug from the gas tank. I know it sounds crazy but I have seen more than a few plugs left it. The owner would remove the plug and fit the tank and then put the plug back thinking belonged there. It is for shipping only. The REMOVE AND DISCARD label is not alway on the blue plug.

7. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

That cap is not in there, I checked it today. I also ran it, and it did fine, and never died. But, it still has a very bad exhaust miss. It has had it ever since I first bought it. I wonder if the engine was defective from the factory.
  8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If you think that then by all means take it to the shop for a repair under warranty ASAP
  9. Fisher40037

Fisher40037 LawnSite Member

Could be just water in the fuel, which is not warrantable. Post you engine's
    model numbers for any recommendations for a quick cure.