Wierd Starter Problem??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by F2K, Jan 20, 2007.

1. F2K

F2K LawnSite Member

I own a Gravely 260-z, I have had starter issues for a while and I'm fed up. Here is my issue, last year when I tried to crank it nothing would happen. If I kept turning the key finally it may turn over and crank. Sometimes it never would, so with a tap of the hammer it would crank. I have replaced the battery, ignition switch, starter solenoind and starter. It still does the same thing. I've checked voltage from ignition switch to the starter which reads 12v. I have ran out of ideas and options.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What's the model and spec. numbers on this engine ? Doe's it even click when you hit the key ?

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check you Ground, any time I have an electrical problem that starts driving me crazy I make sure I have a good ground from the battery to wherever the manufacture located it, block,frame,starter bolt etc. Hope this helps:)

4. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Possibly brushes inside starter old/worn.

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

can you tap the new starter and make it work? maybe it's the crimp connector on the battery connection at the starter?

6. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

if its the starter you can pick up a starter rebuild kit or take it somewhere to have it rebuilt

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If that is a permanent magnet type starter I am going to laugh when you break the magnets and have to buy a new starter. NEVER HIT A STARTER WHEN A HAMMMER:hammerhead:

8. F2K

F2K LawnSite Member

It's a brand new starter, you caqn here it clicking. If I keep trying the key sometimes it will finally turn over. When it gets hot it will crank fine. I don't know why a new starter would do the same thing my old one did.

9. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

could it possibly be a saftey that is messed up and then you bump it some how it starts.

10. F2K

F2K LawnSite Member

i don't know, i just wish i can get this annoying issue fixed.