Wife Calls 'em Ground Hornets. I Call 'em Yellow Jackets.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ClayMcC, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ClayMcC

ClayMcC LawnSite Member

While weed eating a customers back yard, I hit a nest of those nasty little bees with the yellow stripes that live under ground. It was not until the second sting that I realized what was happening, but before long I got stung six or seven times.

It's the Bee Stingin', Seed Tickin', Turtle Snappin', time of year again. Woohoo!

2. AllanP

AllanP LawnSite Member

Yeh, they are Yellow Jackets. Those suckers are nasty. Old people and kids get killed by them every once in a while down here.

3. TheGrassBandit

TheGrassBandit LawnSite Member

I had some of those come get me 3 times in one month every time the swelling went down in my leg I would get stung again.

4. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I got stung whie crushing cans in my garage 2 weeks ago and my wrist was like a balloon for 5 or 6 days. It was very tight and the muscles were tensed, but now that the swelling has gone down it almost seems that it is bony-er than ever.

5. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I got stung by those for the first time in my life a couple of years ago. Once I regrouped, I alternated between jumping on the spot and parking my mower over it.

Oddly enough, that was the last time I ever saw them...

6. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

My Dad stirred up a nest of them while he was discing up a feild. He was stung 87 times before he got away from them spent 2 days in the hospital for it

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I got hit on the ear by one a few weeks ago. They were nested in the ground in a neigboring property's mulch bed. I wasn't even within the typical distance to stir them up, but got stung anyways and found out right quick where they were.

This bee latched on to the top of my ear, started stinging and would not let up. I had to beat it off. I was bleeding from the sting and as I was trying to feel out the damage I felt something sticking out. Went to check it out and found the bee's insides sticking up from the sting. The stinger stuck in my cartilege and yanked out the stinger along with the bee's insides.

It swelled up pretty bad and I had a frankenstien ear for days. But I was glad I didn't swell as bad as normal and kind of relieved my level of allergic reaction was no worse.

Light electric shock is the best anti-venom I know of, if you know someone with an adjustable gun... or someone with a good electric fence. HONEST.

For my ear, I made a paste out of Aldolf's meat tenderizer and water, then rubbed it on and allowed it to dry. That works pretty well too. Stuff like Benadryl helps too.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Those yellow and black sob's will chase you clear across a yard 100 feet or more. I remember reading a post a couple of years ago here on LS about yellow jackets is that the reason you get multiple stings for them is because each stinger leaves a residue/scent that the others from the nest can find you with.

One time as a kid I remember running over a nest of them in the ground. 14 stings on my left leg and 2 days in an ice bath in our hospital...talk about some serious friggin pain.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good point Envy...soon as I get stung, I take a Benadryl...helps to minimize the itching and swelling.

10. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Just in case anyone wanted to get rid of the nest here is a good way to do it. Just before sunset take a can of diesel and a match to the area you saw their nest, there should be a hole there and they will all be in the hole and inactive, pour about a gallon in the hole and drop the match in and watch the S.O.B.'s try to fly out. It is sweet revenge and takes care of the problem. I used this all the time on the golf course when members or worker would find a nest.