Wife & Husband dispute: need help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by windywildflower, May 19, 2004.

1. windywildflower

windywildflower LawnSite Member
    from N.J.

Me and my husband have a customer who wants us to blow his patio (8x10), when we cut his lawn. He has a grill, 3 trash cans, table with 3 chairs,bird houses,rocking chair and a flower pot on his patio which must ba taken off and put back. My husband does it for free. We was not asked to do it at time of estimate.this was afterwards. I feel that i shouldn't have to move this stuff, but if i do i want to charge!!!!! Should we charge or just do it for free???? We charge 40.00 for his 100x100 some is moss, he blows the drive-way so he feels its no big deal.

2. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

My wife and I do this all the time,it realy only takes seconds. If he is a good customer-- just live with it.

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

They asked you move everything? or can you blow around them? The only thing that i would move would be the birdcages.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Why does the stuff need to be moved?

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Thats part of the job. Clean off walks, driveways, porch and yes patios off all debris.

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Ok, so the patio needs to be cleared of debris. I still dont see why someone would have to move all that crap off the porch to clear the patio of debris... I don't know about everyone elses blower and understanding of wind, but with my blower, I can enable myself to blow air at a high enough rate of speed to blow out any unwanted debris from under and around tables, chairs, grills and trash cans. I see no need to pull the stuff off the patio as trash cans sitting on the ground dont collect debris underneath them and tables and chairs can be blown under and around. If I had to physically move the stuff off the patio and replace it all after blowing I would charge accordingly if it was not originally discuessed in the initial bid.

7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I blow off all patios and drive/walkways. I don't move anything, because it can all be just blown off. Unless for some reason it can't be in your case.
    I'd just blow around it personally. So long as it's clean.
    Depends if you want to keep this customer, and keep them happy. How much time does the yard take to do with vs. without blowing the patio off? Sounds like a minimal addition

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sounds like good money!! You move he blows you move back!!
    John

9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with everybody else here, but I have another question for you.... if he wasn't blowing off the patio what would he be doing, sitting in the truck waiting for you, or would there be something else he could do instead. I guess what I'm getting at is how much time does blowing the patio add to the job as a whole. If it is the last thing that he does and he does it while you are finishing up something else then it adds no time to the job and is value added. Also how long does it really take? 1-2 minutes? I'm estimating that it takes .5 man hours for the two of you to do this property. At $40 you're making 80/hr which is pretty good already ($1.33 per minute). If it takes him 2 minutes, you're quibling over whether you should charge the customer an additional $2.66 at your current rate.

As Mickey Blue Eyes would say, "Fagitabod-it!"

10. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

he shouldnt move when you are blowing. it could leave marks....

really I would blow around it. unless it can be blown over by the blower I aint movin sh1t.