1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wife is adamant about taking a week long vacation in the summer . . ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Exact Rototilling, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Short background. Last summer we missed our annual camping trip to the Oregon coast. Reason is my wife was let go from her job at the end of 2006 right after she was done with year end inventory. Happy New Year 2007! Income was down considerably and now she works part time which I'm ok with.

So I'm over here nearly completely absorbed in accelerating my LCO business to the next level. I have another home biz that ties me down 2 days out of the week which is a perfect opportunity to work the Lawn & Garden biz the rest of the available time.

My wife has 2 concerns: :rolleyes: . . . that . . . .

1. I will not be willing to tell all my mowing clients up front that "hey we are planning a vacation this week". Probably 5 to 6 days. Just tell them no grass cutting that week.

2. I will want to work all the time to make more $ and I will never want to have fun. Swim at the lake, family stuff, enjoy the summer etc.

As much as I like our annual camping trip I really fell like she's trying to put the brakes on my Business. Part of me would like to be able to make the trip but I don't want to loose clients because my wife needs a break. Trip costs $500+ in total expenses.

The only redeeming part of this would be the trip would probably occur during the hottest time of the year here thus less weekly grass growth.

Is she really trying to put the brakes on my biz or is it just me. :confused:

Any input?
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

It's you. If you can't take off a week anytime you don't own a business you own a job. Harsh but the truth, sorry.
  3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Gamble on your hottest/dryest time of year...late-July/early-August perhaps?
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I thought you were going to say right smack in middle of spring...

But summer?
    Man I take vacations summer AND winter :laugh:

Those are the best and really only times of year we get the chance...

As for telling the customers, some I tell, others I don't.
    You're as likely to lose some either way, that part, look if this trifle makes one or the other run then let them run, my attitude.
    You got to do it, it's not that big of a deal, I promise the world does not end.

You'll wish you had done it when you lose your marriage :laugh:
    But seriously, a lousy week, in summer?
    You might ask your wife if it's possible, the best time would be late July - mid August
    Temps be so hot all you gotta do is bust most of your lawns out before and after, that stuff will all be on 3-4 week cut schedules and if you miss a few days it don't hurt a thing.

Sheee, I take 10 days before I start to sweat.

Other notes: It DOES help to check your messages while gone AND return any calls, even if it costs you a per minute roaming fee.
    Doing that helps prevent customer loss, I don't think I lost any because of that in 2007, so checking msg / returning calls all you gotta do.
    I went to Europe last year, no kidding, the calls are not that expensive, might've cost me 20 bucks.
  5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

It would probably be smarter to not tell them up front IMO, however I was thinking of doing what was suggested tilting the mowing schedule so there is very little interruption or none in service. During the hot weather here grass really slows waaay down in growth especially when people insist on scalping their lawns.

Yes I think I can pull this off. :waving:
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Is this true for solo operators?
  7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'm taking my first vacation in probably 3 years. But I take them in the winter so it doesn't interfere w/ my lawn & landscape contracts. I am leaving for Florida this Friday & have asked my dad to fill in for me while I am away. He started out w/ me a long time ago, but he still kind of knows what's going on so I trust him.

One thing you can do is take long weekends & go camping & boating. We do this probably once a month during the summer. It's always nice to just get away from life.
  8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just go have fun you only live once. its ok for a week most of your costumers, wont even know you were gone:drinkup:

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I have done it last year no big deal. I also don't charge for that week also, I only charge for the weeks I cut.
  10. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Here it is a totally different situation. If I were to go away from late april through late October early November I would be coming home to machete high jungle growth.

We did not go anywhere over winter break this year and I did get a good verbal beating, next year we will be going to Buffalo for Christmas since that is when the schools let out and she is an assistant principal.

If you can take the time off and not get behind, DO IT! You will never regret being with your wife and kids but you will regret missing the cool things these guys do now that will be gone as they grow up. I have a 2 year old that I have been home with since he was born. I am ready to get the heck out of the house all the time but I know I will miss him when I have a full schedule and no time to play with him. Vacation is important man! Don't miss it.