Wife's best friend has a tree problem...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mcclureandson, Dec 7, 2004.

1. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

The problem is her husband is a self-proclaimed 'Arborist", living in S.C. She's eight months pregnant and he says he can't work when it rains, when it might rain or a day or two after it rains because it's too dangerous. I make my living with a large maintenance base, a couple of installs each month and half a dozen walls each year...but know enough about tree work to be suspicious. Of course you cant' top a tree in a downpour, but how do established, professional companies cope with inclement weather? Couldn't he schedule more work at ground level following a storm? Use a cherry-picker if the trees were still wet, etc.? If I was in his situation I would supplement with stump grinding, get things down before/after bad weather for bucking or investigate my equipment options more fullly...I mean, aren't there plenty of tree companies in Seattle????

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Quit beating around the bush ;) and just call him a free-loadin' SOB

3. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

here in 1998 we had a huge ice storm that downed alot of trees, I mean alot. tree guys were making a killing cutting and doing tree work. they didn't seem to mind the freezing rain or the ice all around. just my two cents...

4. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Theres probably a wealth of info about this subject on LawnSite's sister site-Arboristsite.com! Just a hint...

Jason

5. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

sounds like a scrub to me....

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Sounds like he's hot after his wifes best friend to me! ;)

you know the type guys .... oh i'll take care of you...I know your husbands a bum. lol

7. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Topping trees is a bad and unaccepted practice.
    http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/topping.asp

The husband may have a failing business and can't tell his wife because she is pregnant.

You should try to help him instead of critizing.

I agree with Kris

This woman is most likely hot looking ,and pregnant.
    You are sweet on her.

If this is your wife's friend how long have you known him?

Have the four of you got together for picnics and special events?

Are you envious of him because his wife is Hot?

What is his wife's take on the problem?

;)

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

He can't work "when it might rain"? I think she should throw the lazy bastidge out.
    Crawdad

9. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

for some reason he doesn't want to take down the tree possibly it is out of his league, beyond his level of skill or comfort, and doesn't want to admit it ...as long as the bark is dry, I 'd climb it ...is dangerous to climb a wet tree but it doesn't take too long for tree bark to dry when the tree is standing ... c

10. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

What a bunch of b.s this response is...for everyone else I appreciate the feedback. CoffeeCraver, what are you like 10 years old or something? I know what my opinion of the guy is...he's lazy and will use any excuse to get out of work. I asked for OTHER opinions to give him the benefit of the doubt. I wasn't sure if I was missing something more well-known to dedicated tree-companies that might make it difficult or impossible to work in even a slight drizzle. CoffeeCraver, if YOU want to help him be my guest. FYI, he's Scottish w/no immigration documents, a former heroin addict/alcoholic and when I say he won't work in inclement weather you better believe even the HINT of rain keeps him inside...but you probably know best. Tell me how it works out. Also, FYI...his wife is very cute and a close friend of mine. Luckily, my wife is even cuter and she's not a close friend...she's my best friend.