1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wife's reaction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mel58109, Mar 28, 2009.

1. mel58109

mel58109 LawnSite Member
    from 79912

For anyone new in the business who is already married:
    I know you guys will think I'm some sort of meanie, but I never let my husband know how I really feel. I've supported him throughout his career before and will continue, so don't start yelling at me! But-I'm curious about your wife's reaction to your lawncare career. A few years ago, husband quit his whitecollar managerial job to start mowing lawns. (It was a complete shock to me and the kids.) I don't know what to tell my friends and family.

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Tell them he is just slumming , that he will grow up and get a real job soon.

3. Brian James

Brian James LawnSite Member

Registered 3 years and this is your first post? And I thought I didn't post that much. Anyway my wife's reaction was nervous supportive. She was hesitant about the change of income source and worried how much of a difference we would see. She was tired of my constant complaining about my job and the stress it was causing. I don't know what the problem is with telling people that he owns his own business. Sounds like you are too worried about other people...and that is your cross to bear. I'm not being mean but just truthful.

4. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

This. Your husband is a knucklehead. Sorry.

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Have you kept this a secret for all this time? .....or ...what did you finally tell them?

I suspect this is easier on some wives than on parents. "My kid went to college to mow lawns and dig in flower beds"

I hope your husbands business is going well....? If not I hope he spend time here on Lawnsite. Lots of golden nuggets to be found here but it's time consuming like anything else.

6. All Season Bill

All Season Bill LawnSite Member

Well if your husband didn't know before...he knows now if he gets on here.

After working for companies that kept selling or going under, my wife was all open to the idea of me starting my own company. She does not like however the feast or famine thing or the way we have to wait the way some people pay.

7. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

Me and my love just split. Not due to work (see blizzards and crazy women in Offtopic thread). When I made the switch about a year ago she was really supportive. She knew that I would do well and had faith in me that I can be successful at anything I put my mind to. She felt that I had been wasting my time just waiting tables to put myself through school anyway. So I saw a major pay increase, but if you're really unhappy about it, sounds like his biz isn't doing too well. If done professionally, mowing lawns and digging in flower beds can make alot of money and IMO is respectful career. It may not be as glamorous as having some fancy title, but it's nice to be able to call yourself "owner". You shouldn't be ashamed to tell people what he does. It's not like he's digging ditches.

8. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

At one time I dropped all my customers (31) because wife said i needed to be home more. So I worked my full time job, then I said to myself I really like doing that type of worked...long story short,,we got a divorce. I now do this full time and love every minute of it. My current soon to be wife supports my decision.

9. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

I can't speak for my wife, but the stress of working your own business is scary especially in these uncertain times. I have worked in retail for thirty years now and I'm really sitting right where I was financially when I started. Yes we have three kids one 25 and she is married now. My second is going to be 18 and wants to go to college. My son is 14 and will be starting high school next year. He came down with type one diabetes 4 years ago. Now I don't see me making enough money at my currant job to take care of my family in my currant position. I worked hard as a kid for a professional gardener in my youth and love doing it. There is lots of money to be made and satisfaction of doing a great job for people who you work for. I wish I had made the decision to go after this sooner. The only reason I didn't is that I was going to be able to retire with a pension when I turn 50 years old. But with the economy the way it is, it may change with the new contract with our company. So would it have been better to go for a business that would bring in three times the income I currently have a long time ago? We started our business part time with the notion that when I retire we would evaluate whether I would go full time with it alone or hire a crew. David

10. Chestnut Oaks Prez

Chestnut Oaks Prez LawnSite Senior Member

Ran the roads 5 days a week for 25 yrs selling stuff and depending on 2000 people to back up what I sold.:cry: Making 3 times what I make now. Got so sick on Sun knowing I had to leave town the next morning. Found out that making enough money and doing what you enjoy was Happiness. Knowing the buck stops here when you tell a customer you'll do something is a lot more comforting. Nothing like the STRESS and SATISFACTION of owning your own Biz.:usflag: