wild bermuda grass in my fescue

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Burkhart Lawn Care, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Burkhart Lawn Care

Burkhart Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Im new to the fertilizer part of the biz. My own lawn has bermuda patches in it. How do I get rid of it with out killing my fescue? HELP PLEASE...:usflag:

2. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

3. Burkhart Lawn Care

Burkhart Lawn Care LawnSite Member

thanks barefoot. where can I find it?

4. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

You can probably find it at Lesco. Good luck trying to get rid of it. It seems like a never ending battle trying to get bermuda out of fescue.

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, timed applications in the spring when bermuda is comming out of dormancy and again in the fall before it goes into dormancy. I don't think you will get rid of it but you can supress it.
    I picked up a customer who had it all over his front lawn. He had the soil dug out to about5 inches and new soil put in and a year later it was back. Explained to him about the apps and he is understanding now and a happy customer.

6. greentree

greentree LawnSite Member

The label on Fusilade now says "not for use on home lawns" so it is illegal to use it...

I use Aclaim Extra and Turflon Ester in a tankmix... it works but you have to start in May.... NC State University has recommendations on their website

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I used Acclaim Extra and triclopyr. After four treatments customer asked me to stop--was not working. At least not much.

8. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Product by PBI Gordon named Ornamec over the top is labeled to remove bermuda from fescue and zoysia.

9. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

Wait until March when the bermuda is starting to green up, then hit it with a heavy rate of turflon ester. If you see it coming back, hit it again. Timing is critical on the first application. If you get it right at green up, you catch it with it's pants down, so to speak.

10. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Move.....:cool2::laugh::laugh::laugh: