Wild bermuda out of control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wgannaway, Jun 9, 2005.

1. wgannaway

wgannaway LawnSite Member

I have been told the odd looking grass taking over my yard is a form of wild bermuda. My yard is a mixture of centipede and St Augustine. I also have bahai that is getting out of control. What can I use to take my yard back without killing my other grass. Thanks in advance for any advice I get.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

wgannaway

Sorry to my knowledge nothing chemical can control common Bermuda it those turfs. Maybe some one can enlighten me on that subject. But I believe anyone who comes up with a solution would be a millionaire. BTW there have been products on the Market that were designed to suppress Bermuda. But they didn't work real good and I believe they are now off the market.

The Bahia should get chocked out by St Augustine given some time and the proper management program.

Fact St Augustine grows best under 30% shade. Bermuda likes FULL sun. To stretch shady cloth over the Bermuda part of of your yard could work to control Bermuda. However would this be worth the time and trouble??? I have never tried it but think it might work. Most people will do a total kill and re-sod. BTW it takes many applications of two herbicides to kill off Bermuda.

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

vantage can get the bermuda out of the centipede.

4. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

never tried it but a product called Ornamec made by PBI Gordon is supposed to control bermuda. not sure if it is compatible with warm season grass though.

5. SprayBandit

SprayBandit LawnSite Member
    from LA

Fuselade II works wonders. I use it for just that problem everyday, oh and I have also used vantage :rolleyes:

6. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Atrazine works also in Centipede

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks

I learned something in this thread. Vantage can control Bermuda and Crab grass in Centipede. Unfortunately I don't have any Centipede grass in my area.

As for Atrazine, It will not suppress Bermuda or Crab Grass as a post emerge. It does have Pre emerge effect on both those.