Wild garlic/onions in parts of lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vencops, Sep 28, 2011.

1. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I did a search. Mostly what I saw was concerning spring infestations.

One of my clients owns two lots. There's a stake still in the ground (don't know why) that differentiates his residence lot from the "extra". I'm assuming that's where his former fert./squirt guys figured was the boundary of their services. Just outside this area was a carpet of lezpedesa that I sprayed out before I aerated/over-seeded. Over-seed was a week ago, Sunday. I've got good germination in this area (mostly). What I also have is a lot of wild garlic/onion popping up.

I've read that lezpedeza particularly thrives in nitrogen deficient soils. That would make sense, if the former co. wasn't treating that area. I'm wondering if wild garlic/onion is similar?

I haven't dealt with this pest, yet. Looking for some pointers.

Thanks.

2. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribed. I'd like to hear suggestions, too.

3. vencops

from NC

I've been checking labels. Looks like Speedzone will do the trick.

I'd still like to know if there's anything others are using that they like (I have a lot of speedzone on hand). I'd also like to know if this plant thrives in certain soil conditions.

4. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

In NE Mississippi, we pop it with any 2,4-D product. I prefer acid base to avoid retreating. May not be applicable if your treating cool season turf.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. dboyd351

That's interesting. I thought 2,4-D was for broadleaf only. But it kills the onions?

6. vencops

from NC

More reading, last night. The wild onion thrives in nitrogen depleted soils. Makes sense, now.

Also, the Speedzone has both 2-4D and dicamba. I've been using 820 as a surfactant with my SZ apps.. I've been wondering why MSO is recommended over most others (non-ionics) for a while, now. Anyone? I have both.

7. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

According to the label on PBI Gordon's Amine 400 weed killer it lists wild onion and wild garlic. See #5 on the label for instructions.

8. dboyd351

I believe you, Gus, I'm just surprised. Thanks for the tip, I've got some of that.

9. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

After this year speedzone is my best friend no call backs fast kill. I have not seen any onions since. Give it a shot its well worth it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Vencops,
    We use 1 1/2- 2 oz. Per gallon of a 2,4-D product and it will kill onions/garlic in 1-2 apps.. May be a few scraglers left from first trip, but we just spot treat the second app.
    Posted via Mobile Device