Wild onion/garlic in centipede below 50

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArTurf, Dec 19, 2010.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

What would you use to knock out wild onion/garlic in centipede with the temps below 50? I do not want to use anything with 2-4-D. I would use metsulfuron but it is not very effective at these temps. I would have sprayed it earlier when it was warmer but this came up later than normal I guess because of the dry conditions and then it turned cool. Certainty maybe?

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Spike your metsulfuron mix with triclopyr. When I say spike, I mean 1/8 to 1/10 oz per gal in a backpack sprayer. Excellent knockdown in cold temps and the metsulfuron will finish it off in time.

3. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Thanks Ted.

4. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Did you notice the onion/garlic coming up later than normal? If so, do you think it was because of the dry condition?

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, I think it was because we had little to no rain for 3 months which just so happened to be during the time that onions would be normally emerging. Once we got a couple of rains, that was all the onions needed to come out in full force. The crop has definitely come on later this year than usual.