wild onion problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsnake, Nov 4, 2003.

1. lawnsnake

lawnsnake LawnSite Member

Just wondering if there is any herbicide that will kill wild onions that is shrub and plant safe?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

None.
    Also, they have to be done twice.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Lawnsnake,

Here is a quote from this site that deals specifically with killing wild onion. It does not address it being plant or shrub safe.

"Image may be applied prior to or soon after emergence of the weeds listed below, with the exception of wild onion and wild garlic, which must be emerged at application time for control."

4. Jimmy Bell

Jimmy Bell LawnSite Member

I started to use Image last week on my yard since it had worked in the past. However, after reading the directions - said it would kill fescue, I changed my mind. I use to have mostly crabgrass, now I have turf type tall fescue and just spent 600 bucks on seed alone a few weeks prior. Go to a local garden store and try to find an old guy with knowledge - that's what I do. Works for me so far!

5. Spearseven

Spearseven LawnSite Member

I have also used Trimec found at www.killwildonions.com. Just be aware that most lawns are infested with wild garlic NOT wild onion. The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the leaves. The leaves on a wild onion is flat whereas the leaf on wild garlic is tubular. Nonetheless, both are extremely annoying. Both plants will give off the aroma of "an oniony smell" which often will lead the annoyed lawn owner to believe they are "wild onion". Both contain bulbs that can lie dormant for up to 6-7 years. So if you think you have conquered this noxious weed think again. It could merely mean that after March they are dormant until the fall when they will break ground again unless you properly use a post-emergence herbicide. Persistence is the key.