1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wild Onion/Wild Garlic

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mwallingford, Apr 3, 2001.

1. mwallingford

mwallingford LawnSite Member

I have just taken over a property that has quite a bit of Wild Garlic/Wild Onion on it. Any suggestions as to how to handle those? Product to use, rate of use, timing, and number of applications? Would appreciate your suggestions.
  2. lescodave

lescodave LawnSite Member

Any 2,4D product will take care of onions and garlic. Seeing these weeds grows is a sign of warming soil temps. Spot spray where needed and reapply in a week or two.
  3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

2,4,D will not kill wild onion or garlic. It will burn them a little, but to kill you need something like TRIMEC.
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimec contains 2,4-D. Any 2,4-D product will have an effect on wild garlic/onion - but an ester formulation will give best control (e.g., Super Trimec). Don't expect to knock it out in one year, will often take three years, and then watch after that. Do not treat in the fall, use the fall growth to anticipate where to treat in spring. Fall application will have no effect.
  5. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I believe that a fall treatment will help and you will see improvement if you use the 5 step application that I sent you.

I was talking a friend that has been in the biz for over 10 years. He is using round three as a fert treatment and spot spray for weeds. He is not appling insecticide at this time.

If I have sent you the 5 steps let me know. I will e-mail them to you.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

What makes wild onion and garlic difficult to eliminate is that they multiply by growing bulbils (they are not a seed but are a clone of the plant like a division or a cutting) ... the bulb divides and sends up new leaves from the new bulbil.

Applying an herbicide to the exposed leaves or yanking them out kills only that bulbil ...the remainder of the bulb (and the other bulbils) is unaffected. It continues to grow more bulbils & more leaves will appear ....

so you have to use multiple applications & like GroundKprs says don't expect result in one or two seasons & you have to control during the growing season

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Ok- most of you are right. you do need trimec, super trimec ( ester ) if possible. Don't use it above 80 degrees it is dangerous to surrounding plants and will turn to a gas ., it is useless below 40 degrees. if you can, catch the lawn right after a mowing, or find out when it is mowed. spray right after, wait three weeks, then spot all onions again. NOW the secret. step on them and twist with your boot before spotting spray. it should be dark green, and then the plant will uptake the product. you should knock out most if not all wild onions in two or three treatments if you follow rates for spot spray and instuctions I've given. Dave