1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

wild onions in Bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Mulk, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Mulk

Mulk LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Bermuda lawn that has a lot of these wild onions growing in it. Is there anything I can do at this part of the season? Is there anything I can do to prevent in the fall?

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

If it's dormant Round-Up will work, get on a good fert and pre-m program.

3. Randy Robinson

Randy Robinson LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

The Roundup solution is the best way to go if you are dealing with dormant turf. If not, spot treat using the max rate of a 2,4-D postemergent with a surfactant. I've found that esters work better for Wild Onion/Garlic but it is still going to take a few treatments over a couple of seasons to get control.

4. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

Mulk,
    For our part of the country, 2-4d in November and repeat in February, do this for three consecutive years. I haven't tried it yet but that is what my info says from Auburn University.

5. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Turf here in Bama is starting to green up so do not use round up. I use 3- way mixed with pendimethalin I do 3 apps one in Oct, Feb, and Apr. Apr app is a blend with fert, this seems to put things in check. I like to supress weeds before the heat sets in. I don't spray if temps above 95.

After you treat (at lest 2 days) the bermuda tell the homeowner to cut bermuda short. This will also help with spring green up.