wild onions in centipede help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by midlandlawncare, Mar 23, 2008.

1. midlandlawncare

midlandlawncare LawnSite Member

Hey guys i need your help, i have a few centipede lawns that have a lot of wild onions in them. What is the best way to remedy this? Most herbicides i use on bermuda cant be used on centipede. Also what do ya'll use for braod spectrum weed control in centipede? Its getting harder to find atrazine around here, and these yards missed there pre-m treatments this year. because of the early warm weather , i have green centipede already! I've got a few yards with fescue clumps in them( customers hate that, salt and pepper look ) and with the early green-up glyphosphate is probably out of the question as well.. sorry long post , any help? i get the best advice from here

2. dallas05

dallas05 LawnSite Member

1st i would not take any chances around green up.
    wild onion: IMAGE
    fescue:VANTAGE (it's got a new name i can't remember right now?)
    post emergent in centipede:SPOTLIGHT (IT'S A LITTLE PRICEY BUT HAVE HAD GREAT RESULTS)

3. ETM

ETM LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Speed zone southern has centipede on the label. I bought some last week. $156 for 2.5 Gallons.

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

My Lesco guy pointed out to me that wild onions were listed on the manor label when I came in to buy image. Saved me some $$$ and I think it did as good or better... Just a thought. I mix a little 2-4-D with it for quicker knockdown.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Manor or Blade(metsulfuron) is the best for broadleaves in centipede and st augustine. The dose required to kill most weeds is far below what will damage the grass. The margin with conventional Threeway type products is very slim. Speedzone Southern is an improvement. I have never liked amine based products. In my area, by the time you have sprayed a high enough dose to phase the weeds, the grass is suffering.

For the fescue, Image is good or Manor's sister product Corsair(chlorsulfuron). I would not do either of those if the turf is weak or not completely out of dormancy. Either condition will increase the odds the lawn will die more than the weeds. On centipede lawns, I also look at the fertilizer program as well as soil PH.

Centipede needs high K and micronutrients, as well as an acidic soil. My usual fertilizer for Centipede is 13-0-45 + micronutrients. I apply 16 oz/M 6lb flowable sulfur monthly until the PH is below 6. At 5.5 lots of things no longer grow as well as the centipede.

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

What is the company for the micro? All good stuff in this post. Thanks, Roy

7. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

stop destroying the environment, the stuff will be dead in 2 weeks anyway.

8. greendoctor

I am partial to a product by UAP, Feature. This is a wettable powder containing Fe, Mg, Mn, and S. It is applied at up to 6 Lb per acre. Tank mixes very well with other fertilizers. I do 6 lb Feature+ 50 lb 13-0-45 monthly throughout the growing season. Never apply to dry turf and this should be watered soon afer it is applied.

9. greendoctor

I will apply Image + simazine in the above fertilizer mix to centipede and st augustine. The grass stays green and no weeds. Both of those herbicides are also best watered in soon after application anyway. I do not have tall fescue here, but Image + a triazine should hurt it enough that it declines. On many grassy weeds, two applications of that tank mix a month apart takes out almost everything but bermuda. There are no seasons here, it is summer all year long here. So I water in and ensure the grass is well irrigated thereafter.

10. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with the metsulfuron. It is slow but great on wild onions. If you spray a warm season lawn a little after domancy with simazine and metsulfuron, it will be so clean in the spring that it will amaze you.