Wild Onions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by garbage man, Mar 6, 2000.

1. garbage man

garbage man LawnSite Member
    from VA

Can anyone give me advice on this one? I do summer yard work for elderly people. I am not so much in it for the money but it helps. I want my work to look good. But I have recently noticed that Wild Onions have taken over one yard that I do. What can I use to get rid of these before they completely take over. They popped up this fall. I haven't used chemicals before and was wondreing what to use.

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

trimec plus! it works great on onion grass. use a backpack sprayer with a wide tip and do the entire lawn.

3. Metroman

Metroman LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I HAVE HEARD THAT IF YOU CUT THEM ON TWO CERTAIN DATES IN MARCH THAT IT WILL KILL THEM. I THINK THAT ITS AROUND THE 20th AND 28th BUT DONT HOLD ME TO THAT. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD THAT?

4. garbage man

from VA

I have never heard about the March mowing procedure, too late this season, but I will try it next year. I don't have a backpak sprayer but I will try with my 3 gallon sprayer. I have 4 of them for differing uses. Thanks Metroman and Evan528

5. garbage man

from VA

Sorry Metroman, for some odd reason I had lost a whole month. I was thinking that this was April. I better get out of the house more. I will try your advice.

6. TheLawnRanger

TheLawnRanger LawnSite Member

I've always been told that if you cut wild onions on Good Friday that they will die.That does not have any scientific foundation that I am aware of.<br>

7. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Yep, they die till next fall when they sprout out again if you mow them. Wild onions are a cool season plant and only grow in the winter months. A recent study found that the Trimec herbicides work well on them. Best applied in March and will have to be applied next year also as they reappear, the second application in the second year will take care of the onion problem. Not and easy weed to get rid of.

8. garbage man

from VA

Thanks guys, I will try out the Trimec and see what happens. Will this herbicide hurt scrubs or roses? I am not up to snuff with herbacides, I use hot peppers to keep bugs out of my gardens, I am going to try garlic between the flowers this year.

9. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Yes, Trimec will toast &quot;scrubs&quot; and roses. Read the label (all of it).

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Whatever you do, don't get it on them scrubs!<p>Homer