Wild Strawberries

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DOORZ, Jun 16, 2006.

1. DOORZ

DOORZ LawnSite Member

I have recently installed an irrigation system, and since the lawn was in such sad shape before I installed the irrigation system I have decided to kill everything. I initially spayed a 2-1/2% mixture of Roundup, which did a good job at killing most everything. Then a week later I sprayed a 3% mixture of Roundup and went after some of the weeds that really didn't seem to be effected by the initial spraying.

I have what certain appear to be Wild Strawberries in my lawn, and I have attempted to kill them twice, and I wonder if there is anything else I can try. I really want to make sure everything is dead before I decide to seed, and this seems to pretty much be about the only thing left.

Any suggestions?

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Round up should take care of it. That can be a particularly tough nut, could also be cinquefoil. Try hitting it again with a slightly stronger brew. Maybe add a splash of Scythe to it.

3. DOORZ

DOORZ LawnSite Member

Thats what I am wondering is to how strong of a solution I need. It took about 10 days for the grass to really show any effects from the 2-1/2% spray of roundup.

Whatever this weed is (wild strawberry, cinquefoil) it doesn't seem to be phased by the initial 2-1/2% followed up with a 3% a week later.

Do you think it just needs more time to take effect since the initial spray took 10 days to really show and effect on the grass. I would have thought that with 2 sprayings over a 2 week period it would have killed this stuff.

It had been in the 80's over the last few weeks, and it's now supposed to be in the 90's this week.

4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think that Roundup would work, however you may opt to try a broadleaf weed control such as 2,4-D, Trimec, etc, And, the addition of a surfactant is likely to help as well.

5. Big Chicago

Big Chicago LawnSite Member

Roundup doesn't work on strawberries, violets, and others. Check your soil pH and use Surge. I used it early in my second rounds for the first time. It really took out the strawberries!! BE CAREFUL THOUGH THIS PRODUCT DOES BURN!!! It also did a great job on sedges. Violets still needed to be resprayed.

good luck with your late seeding. You should just enjoy your crabgrass till fall or have lots of water, fungicide every thirty days, and enough Drive to spray the crabgrass. You'll need to put down a pre-emergent after your second mowing as well.

Cheaper too wait.

6. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Try the Green Guardian, usually provides strong visible results within 24 hours.

www.farmcropextracts.com

See test plot results

Cinquefoil 1 DAy Green Guardian-750.JPG

Cinquefoil 1 DAY Untreated-750.JPG

Cinquefoil 1 DAY Weed B Gon-750.JPG