1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wild violet/ground ivy

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 12, 2003.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

What in your opinion works best on this? Thanks
  2. onemancrew

onemancrew LawnSite Member
    from tn. #7

I have fought with violets for three years in my own lawn. Tried 3-4 different things, go for confront liquid. It will take about 3 weeks before you see them dying, but when you do there gone. Might take 2 apps. MAYBE. Good luck. PS. I know it will take care of both of these for you.
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Violets: 2 apps of Confront for established ones. New ones will be gone with one app.

Ground ivy: best control is with ester combo of 2,4-D and triclopyr. Must have triclopyr to count on good control. This combo is also good on violets, but not as effective as Confront.

And remember to treat when actively growing.
  4. Ditto for the liquid Confront. It will do both rather well, and might take 2 apps for 100%.
  5. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

we use a momentem/trimec mixture but again 2 apps..
  6. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Confront is best, and now a new product , Quicksilver from FMC seems pretty good. Turflon II is also pretty good.

Wait about 6 months, when you feel you got the violets under control they'll be back again.

Best thing to tell your customers is " Violets are a persisten
    weed. We should be able to significantly reduce it to manageable
  7. I hear ya man, I have gone as far as Round-Up on them.