Wild Violet Madness!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dschribs, Aug 30, 2007.

1. dschribs

dschribs LawnSite Member

Violets are taking over my lawn. :cry:

How do I get rid of these things! They spread like a..well..a weed...

Any help would be appreciated...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Turflon (triclopyr ester) + Drive 75 (quinclorac) will toast it. fluroxypyr works good too.

3. dschribs

dschribs LawnSite Member

Yesterday, I put down an application of Ortho Weed-B-GonChickweed, Clover and Oxalis Killer for Lawns with an Ortho Sprayer. Today, I see that the violets are not as healthy as they were yesterday...

Poor babies...

Question, I've heard that I might need repeated applications of this stuff to get rid of these thinsg entirely. How long should I wait before hitting this stuff again with more Ortho???

4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

The label states when to reapply under "For Best Results" in the bottom section "When To Apply"....
    *Reapplication can be made in two to three weeks if necessary.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Well, keep in mind that Violets are infamous for developing a waxy coating in the early summer that doesn't necessarily keep them from being indestructible by a herbicide, but rather makes them harder to 'stick to' when sprayed by a herbicide. I agree with lilmarvin4064 about using the Turflon ester, as ester formulations are designed to break through this type of coating. The ester tank mix product 'Quicksilver' would be one to use too. (These are products for the pros to use, by the way. You won't find them in your box store.) Unfortunately, if you use an ester ANYTHING and you're having anything approaching 80-ish degree weather you'll toast everything, including your begonias! My recommendation is to hire a pro and attack them heavy and hard with ester formulations WHEN the weather cools enough to use a ester formulation-late this month, early next month? And then go after them again next spring. Make sure they know what they're doing (not an easy task these days) and that they use a spreader-sticker additive in their tank mix. And remember the #1 rule of weed control: It doesn't REALLY come from a bottle. Real weed control comes by SEEDING to COMPETE WITH THE WEEDS once the stuff in the bottle has done it's job. That's the dirty and dusty part.

6. WildViolator

WildViolator LawnSite Member

I've been trying for years to control my wild violets, spraying, pulling - only to see it get worse. Three days ago, I tried the new product Ortho Chickweed, Clover and Oxalis Weed-B-Gon (w/triclopyr). It seems like the whole mess is turning yellow and falling over. I'm planning on hitting it again in a couple of weeks, but so far so good. Triclopyr seems much more effective than anything I've tried before.

7. Marcos

That's great W.V! Go to a Lesco store (or the website) and compare the % of A.I. of triclopyr in your product vs. their 'Momentum'. You might find that you'll get more bang for your buck by not buying retail products at a box store, and you'll get 2, 4-D too. Don't forget the sticker!.....Oh...by the way...welcome to lawn site.com! I think you win the most creative handle of the week award! With Wild Violator, you can jump this chat room and go on to MUCH more interesting ones!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

8. dschribs

dschribs LawnSite Member

Here's an update after day four. They don't look good!!! :laugh:

Should I wait the two weeks (as instructed on the bottle) for the next application or hit them again in a week as I've heard some people say?? I don't want them to regain thier strength.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Marcos

Violets can fool 'ya. How often enough with an ester (or 'alcohol') based herbicide it's easy enough to 'take down' the canopy of the foliage and walk away farting and grinning, but if you've ever really seen the incredible KNOT that the violet has for a root, you'd understand how resilient they can be! They'll be back......(And it probably started with a FLOWER GARDENER in the neighborhood who's violets got away into the turf!- no kidding)

10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

My thoughts, not necessarilly based on experience with violets: I would wait the two weeks rather than hitting it again in 1 week. Marcos' explanation of the root's strength is my reasoning. Waiting may give it more time to go fully systemic and attack more root tissue. An earlier application may kill top growth before the roots are entirely treated.