Wild Violets & Speed Zone

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jrblawncare, Aug 28, 2006.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of control are you getting with Speed Zone on Wild Violets, I sprayed some last Thursday....not seeing much yet. Spayed at 2 oz. per 1,000 sq ft.

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i sprayed with momentum about week and a half ago, and not seeing much either. never tried speedzone on them, but i am disappointed with the results of momentum at 1.5 oz/per gallon. i'm going to spray them again in a couple days. should we be waiting until middle to late september to get the violets?

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I've sprayed them twice with Speedzone this year which has been ineffective.

I think it might be a waste of time unless you spray them in the Fall. I'd like to try some Horsepower or Coolpower if the Speedzone fails again.

4. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I was hoping for results....wanted to reseed in 2 weeks....I know crossbow will take them out.....

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try adding a surfactant

6. Golf42

Golf42 LawnSite Member

The key is to come back and hit them again in about 10 days. I used to use Confront in this manner and got pretty decent control. Keep in mind that Violets are one of the toughest weeds to kill.

7. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Drive should do the job...Neal

8. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Been using speedzone about 3 years now and I hav about a 70% kill on them spring or fall (1 shot with spreader sticker)

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u have to drown them in sz

10. Dr Green

Dr Green LawnSite Member

I just answered this question this morning for a lawncare tech.

In the summer , violet control is almost NILL. I wounldnt even attempt it.

I have rounded up lawns and come back 7-10 days later , and all is dead except the VIOLETS....

Mid Spring and in early fall is the best time to get those violets. They will take in the weed control much better . Speedzone is a fine product , but violets are nasty.

If you can still get it, Clopyralid worked well. Slow but well. OLD CONFRONT, OLD MOMENTUM, MILLENIUM ULTRA 2, LONTEL have this in it.

Most everywhere they removed the residential label from the Active ingredient, but commercial properties are fair game.

That will do the best job IMO....