1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wild Violets

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 1grnlwn, Sep 13, 2007.

1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you use to kill wild violets? Some chems have it on the label, but I have not found one that kills it. I don't consider having to spray it 3 times as a good situation.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

You may as well not even spray them unless in the spring, or fall...no mater what you use. Here is a link to recent Purdue research on this. http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2007/06_01ivy.htm

I have found as in the study that some will respond to 2,4-d, while others will not-some won't respond to carfentrazone that well either. I like to use UAP's Chaser 2 amine (triclopyr, 2,4-d) & add carfentrazone (quicksilver) 1 of those is going to get them. :hammerhead: And you probably will need a follow up spray for best control.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Odd--but Drive is labeled for violets. Works well too. Slow action. Not much curling of the leaves like caused by three way. Violets just slowly turn brown.
  4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Pretty much any product available now will take multiple sprays to kill wild viotes. I've had good luck with Momentum, or a 3 way ester base in the spring/fall. Just keep at them. Any time you see them, spray them. Hit them hard in the spring, then spot as you find them, all year long. They'll eventually go away.

Never tried Drive. Always found it useless on broad leafs, but will try some this weekend. Thanks for the tip.
  5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Battleship herbicide. Try it at the proper time, and you will see results.
  6. upidstay

from CT

Battleship is no longer registered by the EPA, I think.
  7. upidstay

from CT

Checked KellySolutions.com and it showed discontinued
  8. lescojdl

lescojdl LawnSite Member

The two products that seem to get the best results are Drive 75 and Q4. Q4 seems to get a more complete kill. It is like 3way mixed with drive 75 and Dismiss. Great product. Always add a surfactant (Lesco Spreader-sticker, hawkeye) when using a product with quinclorac (Drive). It seems to help immensely with that a.i. I have a few guys that will mix quicksilver or octane 2SC with it if they need a quicker kill.
  9. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry. Try Battleship III to be more specific. You won't be dissapointed.
  10. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

Battleship 3 and Drive are probably the 2 best products to use on violet but make sure you add MSO. You will be having a difficult time breaking down the waxy cutticle if you do not.