1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darwin, May 27, 2003.

1. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

The other day I was mowing a property and I had to come to an abrupt stop several times.

The reason being was a varity of wildlife. I had come upon two Kildeer (sp?) nests (with the mom real close), and a Mallard nest (occupied).

Lets hear about your brushes with nature.

One of the things about this job that I truly love is being in the outdoors and seeing the many beautiful activities that are happening in nature.

Can you imagine being one of the "sheep" that has to "go-through-the-motions" every day?

I can't.

So, Lets Hear It!

2. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

I hate to admit it, but I was mowing a field and ran over a rabbit nest. Bad deal for a couple of them. The ones that stayed put were OK.

Don't mind killing them if I'm out hunting or if their in the garden, but I hate killing them accidentally for no reason.
  3. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

Was mowing large field behind a commercial property i do the other day and came across a fawn. Must have just been born a few days prior. Size of a small puppy. Absolutely awesome.
  4. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

Yea, I hate to admit it as well, but the same day I ran over a black snake.

It truly is a bummer to kill a living thing during your working day (No matter what it may be).
  5. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

We seem to be lucky and get at least two fawn antelope on the course every year the mothers leave them next too a tee box in the morning and return later. Getting every one to leave them alone is the hard part.
    A few years ago we had a mother skunk that had two babys, she would bring them on the #8 green to eat worms in the morning they were very cute, did make mowing a bit nervous though!
    We get a badger or two a year, lots off prairie dogs. And had a hawk build a nest behind the #3 green in a tree got too watch the babys grow up two years in a row till a bad winter storm blow the nest out of the tree.
    And the damn buck antelope they can be a real pain in the ***.
    Had a Moose come through a few years ago got that little bull on photo was a great picture.I think thats about it.
  6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Used to do a house with about 400 ft² of lawn, but house was at top of a big hill. Had to walk up 3/4 block of 40% to 50% grade driveway to get to house in woods. Place had deer, coons, groundhogs, and most other wildlife. Then one summer a wild turkey moved in. Her nest was in shrubbery along drive, and she usually just strutted away when I showed up. But one day she was in a fowl mood, I guess. As I topped the drive, she charged straight at me. I braced to be hit, and she veered off just 4-5 feet away from me.

Imagine the story: "Turkey bowls yard boy down hill." LOL. Glad she veered off, LOL.
  7. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I see the occasional rabbit or woodchuck when I'm mowing. I had a coyote walk past me at about 10' when I was brushhogging last year. He was hunting over were I had already cut. Almost gave a deer a concussion 1 day when I was brushhogging and the thing jumped up and hit her melon on my tractor bucket. She ran off, but she must of had a heck of a headache. Missed a turkey nest by 2' when I was again brushhogging a field. Didn't see it until the hen almost flew in my lap. That will wake you up.:dizzy:
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Rabbits and deer are about the only wildlife I get to see on a regular basis. Everything else seems to run off and hide from the sound of the mowers.

9. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

i run over rabbit nests alot and usually dont hit them. they scatter and i collect them and put them back into their hole. the bad part is when they come back out and i hit them its the worst putting them out of their misery
  10. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Moved a 6"dia turtle out of my way just this morning. Saw him coming from the road onto the shoulder. It's a fairly busy road with heavy truck traffic. How he managed to cross that without getting flattened I'll never know! Figured the least I could do was move his to the creek that borders my property.