Wilkins 420

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, May 20, 2006.

1. Someone was asking at the beginning of spring if we had seen any freeze damage on these "freeze resistant" breakers yet.....well, now I have.

The black plastic bonnet exploded and busted the middle out of it....therefore, the cool little button inside the poppet that is supposed to relieve this pressure will not do so if not drained properly, just like any other breaker.

No pictures, but my word is gospel :)

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

All hail SprinklerGuy!! Amen brother. I believe!!!!!!!!!!

3. You are healed DMac....that is as close to the gospel as you will ever get from me.....

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, anymore an we'll and we'll have to move this to the religion section in the off topic forum. Am I banned from there since I'm athiest? Or encouraged to start controversy? Hmmm......

5. Don't bother....you cannot win that argument....

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I was curious about the Watts 'anti-freezeup' PVBs. I winterized a system last year that had a damaged one, so it didn't work as advertised. I'm guessing the principle behind them is that the ice will form from the outside going in towards the center, giving a chance for some internal assembly to open from the pressure increase, and keep the water flowing.

7. Yes...it is part of the poppet..they replaced the guide pin with a button thingie....(technical term).....it didn't work in this case, but I suppose it works in light freezes...the homeowner mentioned it exploded on thanksgiving day while they were deepfrying their dinner...

My cost on the 420 is about 10 bucks cheaper than a 765....same small footprint...

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

But how easy is it to get replacement parts as oppsed to the Febco? Just crious, have never seen a 420 here, so I don't even know what parts to carry.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Based on the Watts and Wilkins 420 results, I'll probably stick with the Wilkins 720s. I kind of like having the same PVB body for both 3/4 and one inch, and having the testcocks on the device itself. They won't avoid freezing, but I'll have winterized them already, before that can happen.