Wilkins 975XL - leaking

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by backbeat, May 15, 2007.

  1. backbeat

    backbeat LawnSite Member
    Posts: 7

    Hello. I'm sorry, I just posted to an old thread on this subject - and I thought it would be better to start a new thread.

    I have a steady stream of water coming out of a Wilkins 975XL RPP. I researched this problem, but the solution seems to be replacing the whole unit. I would prefer not replacing the valve, as it's at my own home and not a customers.

    I bought a rebuild kit and put it together. The kit did not contain o-rings for check valve #1 and #2 (seat check). It also did not contain an o-ring for the relief valve seat either. I did take out the seats in check valve #1 and the relief valve, and turned them over. None of this helped. I'm pretty sure the problem is not in check valve #2.

    Basically, I cleaned and replaced all the rubber (except as noted above), the three springs, and the diaphragm.

    It still trickles out. There aren't parts left to replace... Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I replace the seats and o-rings? I think that's the only thing left to do.

    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote
     
  2. irrig8r

    irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,535

    Disassemble again and inspect the plastic check valve seats that are threaded into the the body (not the rubber seat discs) I had some crack from freezing this winter when the 975 body and all the rubber looked fine. Had to remove and examine them in the light to see the hairline cracks. mopre obvious as I removed them. (Make sure to have spares on hand before you remove them.)
     
  3. backbeat

    backbeat LawnSite Member
    Posts: 7

    That could be the problem. I'll get some replacements and give it a try. Thanks very much Gregg!
     
  4. irrig8r

    irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,535

    You're welcome. Hope it worked.
     
  5. backbeat

    backbeat LawnSite Member
    Posts: 7

    Gregg, thanks again. I replaced the three seats and o-rings, and it's fixed. As you surmised, one of the seats was cracked and was causing the leak.

    I did end up taking the new seat back out, as it had a small leak. I put some Vaseline on the o-ring, to see if that would fix it. It improved it, but there's a drip every 6 seconds or so. I'll keep an eye on it, but it certainly got rid of the gusher that used to come out of it.

    Great tip!
     

Share This Page