1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

will 2 cycle gas hurt 4 cycle equiptment

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by michmann, Jun 5, 2008.

1. michmann

michmann LawnSite Member

well her goes another weird question ? We were cutting lawns today and my son poured the gas from the 2 cycle mix can into our 4 cycle trim mower and ran a 1/2 tank thru it. IT was my fault as i did not have the plastic gas can marked in any way differant than than the straight gas can My question is will it hurt anything or should i change the spark plug or what,:hammerhead::hammerhead: its a honda engine on a lawnboy mower any advise would be great you guys allways have the answers to my weird questions
  2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your mower will be fine :)
    I have only one fuel can and its 2 cycle mixed and has been for years. I had a 21 Toro with a 4 cycle Suzuki that I owned and ran 2 cycle in for close to 10 years with NO issue or SMOKE and would still have the mower if it was not stolen out of my shed:mad:
  3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

4. themow

themow LawnSite Member

just curious as to why you ran that in it.
  5. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I think engines are pretty flexible I accidentally ran 5 gallons of diesel through my Farmall tractor. Needless to say it took awhile to get all of the diesel out but it is stilling running fine to this day.
  6. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like only having one 5 gallon gas can and with 3 handheld 2cycle units to fill and the mower it is easier then having 2 separate cans taking more valuable space, and I have posted prior as to the properties of fuel and having it sitting around for long periods of time(not good). In all the time I owned the mower it never took more then 2 pulls to start and ran great. I am not telling people to mix all their fuel just saying this is what I do and I have never had an issue.
  7. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've actually run mixed fuel in some engines for a reason. Engines that are older and used to have leaded gas can be helped by the extra oil on the valve stems for lube.
  8. badluck

badluck LawnSite Member

it should not hurt anything and probably be better for your engine because of extra lubrication.
  9. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

just dont try it the other way around lol
  10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I've done it in a pinch with no problems. Nice to hear from someone that's been doing it long-term, though!