Will 48" WB scalp lawn? (pics of lawn)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Michael950, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Michael950

Michael950 LawnSite Member
    from C

Will a 48" WB mower (with no anti-scalp rollers), scalp my lawn?

I have been keeping my eye peeled for a nice used Exmark 36" Viking. My original plan was to purchase a new 36" Metro, but after testing a Viking and having the variable speed (no gears) (not to mention no potential of slipping belts) I've set my eye on the Viking. When we had the fence installed, I requested double gates at the end of the driveway (to park a trailer if ever needed) so I am not limited by a 36" gate. My original mind of thought was to go with a 36" to expedite resale if required, however now I am thinking it would be better to go with a 48" mower.

Would a 48" Viking mower scalp my lawn?

If I can find a ZTR for the right price, I will go that route. But I am not going to spend any more than $3K for a mower.

DSC_2543.jpg

DSC_2547.jpg

DSC_2548.jpg

2. Michael950

from C

Last few photos.

DSC_2551.jpg

DSC_2552.jpg

DSC_2553.jpg

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Heck most people would run a 60" ztr on that lawn. A 48" will be just fine.

4. Michael950

from C

I would too if I had the cash, heck, with that kind of cash I would pay someone to mow my lawn.

Regardless, the Viking does not have anti-scalp rollers. That's where my concern lies, and more specifically near the road in the front.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

They have been building 48" walkbehinds for over 50 years. Only in the last 10 years have they been putting rollers on some machines. They aren't really needed unless you have a 60" deck. You just have to think when your mowing in your pattern, etc when you get into a swall, etc. Rollers are really like training wheels. Everyone things, well that machine has them, then I need them. I have had four 48" walkbehinds over the years. Not one of them had rollers, and I never found a need to have them.

6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing rollers do is protect the lawn when you have a lot of "bumps" in the lawn.

Your lawn looks extremely flat (compared to mine, anyway), except for the ditch next to the road, there. You should be fine. And you can raise the height on the mower if you need to.

7. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah the ditch is the only place that I can see from your pics were this would even be a concern.

8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't worry about the anti scalp rollers either. Just be sure to buy from a local dealer and not a big box store. Service is more important than anything. Good luck.

9. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 32" and it will scalp when i hit a hidden bump. I hate it, anyway to avoid it?

10. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Dig up the bump and plant a tree.