will a 1/2 ton be enough?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RLS24, Jan 12, 2009.

1. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to buy a truck...I have, however, come to the conclusion that for the money I am able/willing to spend, a 1/2 ton is going to be my best value, meaning I could get an older 3/4 ton with a lot of miles on it for the same price as a couple year old 1/2 ton with very few miles. I found a wonderful 2006 Chevy 1/2 ton that looks like just what I need, has low miles, and most importantly, the dealer is going to give me a great deal on my trade and the price on the truck is right.

I am, however, worried that the 1/2 ton isnt going to be enough for what I need, or I am going to be pushing it as far as the limits of it goes. I am going to be towing my 6x10 trailer with my mowers (see list in my sig below), prob have the bed filled with grass at the same time, and on landscaping jobs prob have the bed at least half full of mulch and prob towing the trailer with some tools in it. I am also going to be plowing with it in the winter.

All that said, I would highly consider putting airbags in the back to help with the load, and level the front out by either using airbags, timbrens, cranking the torsion bars, or a combination of all 3. Is doing this going to actually help, or just visually mask the problem (if it even will be a problem)? I have had several chevy trucks when I was younger and I worked as a tech at a Chevy dealer for a while, so I know these trucks are built good and it will last me mechanically, but I am just worried I am going to be putting too much on it and "overloading it" at times.

Thanks for your help guys....oh and I will be getting rid of my Jeep, which can't tow anything no can I put anything in the back of it so it's pretty much useless as a landscape vehicle to me....I sure will miss the little thing plowing though!

2. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

i think the 1/2 ton would be more than enough ! :usflag:

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Just remember it is a half ton and don't overload it too much. The only thing your going to be doing allot is replacing the brakes because the truck will be heavy all the time. Make sure your trailers have good brakes and a good brake controller in the truck.

You don't want air bags a heavier set of springs would help or add timbrens.

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

theres a ton of guys on plowsite that use the large 9.5' boss plow with their half ton.

5. CoupesCuts

CoupesCuts LawnSite Member

Depends on how much you want to grow. If you put helpers and bags on a 1/2 ton, at the end of the day its still a half ton. If you want a bigger trailer down the road, you are going to want a bigger truck. Plowing? If put a sander in the back you will beat that truck.

6. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I see where you're coming from. I would never put a sander or salter in the back though.

I'm kind of in a tough position though, I NEED a truck, there are no 2 ways about that. Problem is, I REALLY can't afford any more of a payment than I am making now (it would be $4.22 more a month on this particular truck). Optimistically, I know that once the season starts up I will probably be able to afford a higher truck payment that could be for a 3/4 ton, but I don't want to put all of my eggs in that basket. I know that, even if the s*** hits the fan, and I don't get the landscaping and mowing work I am hoping for, I can still afford the payment on the 1/2 ton working my part time job delivering auto parts.

7. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I think a half ton would be more than enough. Here's a pic of mine and it has 2 wb's a ztr and a bunch of other tools. I also pull a 6x12 open with 5 yds of mulch and it does fine. Would i like a 3/4 ton sometimes ....yes but it does just fine.

DSC00683.jpg

8. slamjamrockinman

slamjamrockinman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm kind of in the same situation, so any help from you guys would be appreciated. I want a 3/4 ton but half ton does seem to be a lot better value.

9. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like it would work good for what you have in mind for it.

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i think the half ton would tow your load just fine. but i would be scared to plow w/ that size truck (i am a southern boy that live up north for about 4 months). just remember, unless you steal it, you'll eventually lose money on it. that said you wont get what you have in it back out of it when you need the bigger truck. i would look for a 3/4 ton so that you can grow, and there are some great deals on the larger trucks now too.